Criticize my proof (metric topology, Munkres)

In summary, the homework statement is that for any fixed ##\textbf{x}##, the set ##A(\textbf{x},\epsilon)## defined as ##\{\textbf{y}|d(\textbf{x},\textbf{y}) > \epsilon\}## is open in ##X## under its metric topology. The proof shows that this open ball lies entirely in ##A(\textbf{x},\epsilon)##. Finally, the proof shows that ##d^{-1}(a,b) = A \cap B##, which is open in ##X \times X##.
mathmonkey

Homework Statement

Let ##X## be a metric space with metric ##d##. Show that ##d: X \times X \mapsto \mathbb{R}## is continuous.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please try to poke holes in my proof, and if it is correct, please let me know if there's any more efficient way to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here is my proof:

First, we show that for any fixed ##\textbf{x}##, the set ##A(\textbf{x},\epsilon)## defined as ##\{\textbf{y}|d(\textbf{x},\textbf{y}) > \epsilon\}## is open in ##X## under its metric topology. Suppose ##\textbf{y} \in A(\textbf{x},\epsilon)##. Then, consider ##B_d(\textbf{y},d(\textbf{x},\textbf{y})-\epsilon)##. We show that this open ball lies entirely in ##A(\textbf{x},\epsilon)##. Suppose ##\textbf{z} \in B_d(\textbf{y},d(\textbf{x},\textbf{y})-\epsilon)##. Then,
[tex] d(\textbf{x},\textbf{y}) \leq d(\textbf{x},\textbf{z}) + d(\textbf{y},\textbf{z}) < d(\textbf{x},\textbf{z}) + d(\textbf{x},\textbf{y}) - \epsilon [/tex]
implies that ##d(\textbf{x},\textbf{z}) > \epsilon##, as desired.

Now we consider the general basis element ##(a,b)## of ##\mathbb{R}##. The set ##d^{-1}(a,b)## may be interpreted as the set of all ##(x,y) \in X \times X## such that their distance is greater than ##a## but less than ##b##. Then, the set,
[tex] B = \bigcup _\textbf{x} B_d(\textbf{x}, b) [/tex]
represents the set of all ##(x,y) \in X \times X## whose distance is less than ##b##. Clearly, this set is open since it is an arbitrary union of open sets. Similarly,
[tex] A = \bigcup _\textbf{x} A(\textbf{x}, a) [/tex]
represents the set of all ##(x,y) \in X \times X## whose distance is greater than ##a##. This set is open, as we have proven above. Then, ##d^{-1}(a,b) = A \cap B##, which is open in ##X \times X##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof is correct.Another approach for RxR concerns the metric inducing the topology on RXR.
See attached.
for general metric space use appropriate metric.see answer #3.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
metric for the producy topology

Attachments

• prod-metric.pdf
    71.9 KB · Views: 257

1. What is the purpose of a proof in metric topology?

A proof in metric topology is used to rigorously and logically demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. In other words, it provides evidence that a particular statement is true within the context of metric spaces.

2. How do I know if my proof is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your proof, you should carefully check each step and make sure it follows the rules of logic. Additionally, you can ask for feedback from other mathematicians or consult with established proofs in the literature.

3. Can I use different methods or techniques in my proof?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to prove a statement in metric topology. As long as your proof is logically sound and follows the rules of the metric topology, it is considered valid.

4. What do I do if someone criticizes my proof?

If someone critiques your proof, it is important to listen to their feedback and consider their points carefully. They may have identified a flaw or weakness in your proof that you can improve upon. However, if you still believe your proof is valid, you can provide counterarguments supported by evidence.

5. Can I use a proof from a different topic or area of mathematics in metric topology?

While it is possible to use proofs from other areas of mathematics in metric topology, it is important to make sure the proof is applicable and relevant to the specific problem at hand. Additionally, you should always cite the source of the proof to give credit to the original author.