1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issue with the definition of the Hausdorff dimension

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    Issue with the definition of the Hausdorff dimension

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HausdorffDimension.html" [Broken] involves a n-dimensional Hausdorff measure of 0. I'm having trouble understanding cases that would give such a value.

2. Relevant equations
    the Hausdorff dimension [tex]\textbf{D}(\textbf{A})[/tex] of A is the infimum of d>=0 such that the d-dimensional Hausdorff measure of A is 0

Let [tex]\textbf{X}[/tex] be a metric space, [tex]\textbf{A}[/tex] be a subset of [tex]\textbf{X}[/tex], and [tex]\textbf{d}[/tex] a number [tex]>=0[/tex].

The [tex]\textbf{d}[/tex]-dimensional Hausdorff measure of [tex]\textbf{A}[/tex], [tex]\textbf{H}^\textbf{d}(\textbf{A})[/tex], is the infimum of positive numbers [tex]\textbf{y}[/tex] such that for every [tex]\textbf{r}>0[/tex], [tex]\textbf{A}[/tex] can be covered by a countable family of closed sets, each of diameter less than [tex]\textbf{r}[/tex], such that the sum of the [tex]\textbf{d}[/tex]th powers of their diameters is less than [tex]\textbf{y}[/tex]. Note that [tex]\textbf{H}^\textbf{d}(\textbf{A})[/tex] may be infinite, and [tex]\textbf{d}[/tex] need not be an integer.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I read in some wikipedia article that a 2-dimensional Hausdorff measure of planar Brownian motion would be 0. So, I'm thinking that it may be that if one forms subsets out of said set A in which each subset contains only one isolated point, then the diameter of each of those subsets would be 0 and thus the Hausdorff measure would be 0. However, I don't think this is the explanation I'm looking for because then that set A would have a Hausdorff measure of 0 for any given dimension d.

Another issue I have is related to the definition of the Hausdorff measure.
    It is the "infimum of positive numbers y such that..." How can the measure be 0 if it has to be a member of a set of positive numbers?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    The infimum of a set of positive numbers can be 0, e.g. the infimum of the open interval (0,1) is 0 even though every number in (0,1) is positive.

For example, look at the d = 1 Hausdorff measure of the natural numbers (so this is just the Lebesgue measure). For any y>0 we can cover 0 by the closed interval [-y/4, y/4], 1 by the closed interval [1-y/8,1+y/8], 2 by [2-y/16, 2+y/16] and so forth. The total length of these intervals is y/2 + y/4 + y/8 + y/16 + ... = y. Since this worked for all positive y, the inf over all these y is 0 so that the d = 1 Hausdorff measure of the natural numbers is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook