1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple divergence/Green's theorem question

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    I'm exploring the divergence theorem and Green's theorem, but I seem to be lacking some understanding. I have tried this problem several times, and I am wondering where my mistake is in this method.

The problem:
    For one example, I am trying to find the divergence of some vector field from a hemisphere. Let the hemisphere be given by $$x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 9.$$ Also, the vector field in question is given by $$ \textbf{V} = \bigg(y,\hspace{2mm} xz,\hspace{2mm} 2z-1\bigg) $$
    Now, I want to evaluate the integral over the surface:
    $$\iint\textbf{V}\cdot\textbf{n}\hspace{2mm}d\sigma$$

Attempt at a solution:
    Here is how I try to solve it. I instead use (by Green's theorem, where tau is a volume element) $$\iiint\nabla\cdot\textbf{V}\hspace{2mm}d\tau.$$
    Taking the gradient of the the vector field, I get 2 (only the z-hat component of the field will contribute). And since it is a simple hemisphere, I can integrate over the volume in spherical coordinates with the following limits:

$$r \hspace{1mm}\epsilon\hspace{1mm}[0,3]$$
    $$\phi \hspace{1mm}\epsilon\hspace{1mm}[0,2\pi]$$
    $$\theta \hspace{1mm}\epsilon\hspace{1mm}[0,\pi/2]$$
    The Jacobian is standard for going from Cartesian to spherical coordinates: $$r^2 \hspace{1mm}sin(\theta)$$
    Lastly, evaluating this integral (and not forgetting to include the gradient of the vector field in the integral), I get $$36\pi$$
    The answer given in the text is $$27\pi$$ This is not a hard problem, and I am most certain that my integration and arithmetic is correct. There must be some fundamental step that I am missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2
    I think I have figured it out. If you consider the outward flux from the bottom of the hemisphere (ie. a disk), then that is equal to 9 Pi. The total flux through the curved surface is then (36 - 9) Pi, or 27 Pi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted