1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critique my proof of the Arzela-Ascoli Theorem (with one question)

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    In part (b), I'm not sure why it's important that r_1, r_2, ..., r_n is finite. Any thoughts? One thing I'm concerned about is if I have really shown that g_k converges uniformly because I did not shown that the N chosen was independent of the x.

arzela1.png

arzela2.png

arzela3.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The problem is of course that every [itex]r_i[/itex] gives rise to a different N.

That is: you know that [itex](g_s(r_i))_s[/itex] is Cauchy, thus we can write:

[tex]\forall \varepsilon >0:\exists N_i: \forall s,t>N_i:~|g_s(r_i)-g_t(r_i)|<\varepsilon[/tex]

I wrote [itex]N_i[/itex] here instead of [itex]N[/itex] because we do not have only one N.

Now you must combine the [itex]N_i[/itex] into one N. This will use finiteness.

A critique of your proof: you have not shown that we can actually choose a finite set [itex]\{r_1,...,r_n\}[/itex] that satisfies the criteria. This is very important and uses something essential.

Furthermore, your proof of (c) isn't quite nice. You say "we may choose [itex]\delta>0[/itex]", but you do realize that this delta was already chosen in (b)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook