Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross section change and failure of tube

1. Jun 28, 2016 #1
    Hey, working on something for a personal project and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I have a 47 inch hollow steel tube that I'm going to cut the end 6 inches into a half circle tube . I have a load of 200 lb at the top and am wondering how about I would quickly check if the tube will fail at the point where the cross section changes from a circle to a half circle. It should be simple but all my mechanics have lost me ha. So far i got support loadings and moments. Thinking I need to use the stress equation and moment of inertia ?

Let me know if this doesnt make sense

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2016 #2
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm having trouble figuring out what this is about. It looks like you have a beam with point loads. You cut the cross section in half, but you don't tell whether you have taken any of the material away or whether it is just a slit. You also don't tell which end the cut is made.

4. Jun 29, 2016 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

It's good to see from the diagram that the length is 47”, when I read the question I thought it was the diameter.
    What is the tube diameter, and have you decided wall thickness yet ?

If the half tube cut-out will be where the 1400 lb load is applied at 44”, from the 41” to 47” part on the diagram, then what is the orientation of the half section that remains, and how will the load be applied to the tube at that point ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted