Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Crystallization Report - What is a Good Yield?

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did my lab work a week ago and in the lab report I am to discuss my results, and how successful. If not successful, then why not. Our Organic Chem. lab was on crystallization and we had to obtain pure Benzoic Acid crystals from 2 grams of a crude material.

My question is for such an experiment, what is usually considered a good percentage yield? Or should I discuss my success based on my own techniques and patience with the experiment?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If you have no idea about the composition of the crude material, you can't say anything about what is a good yield.

4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    I see, that is what I was thinking. It is just that they asked for us to discuss the success of our experiments, but that is a general format for all labs in this course. I would assume I could just discuss based on my own ideas and thoughts.

Thanks by the way.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook