1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crystallization Report - What is a Good Yield?

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did my lab work a week ago and in the lab report I am to discuss my results, and how successful. If not successful, then why not. Our Organic Chem. lab was on crystallization and we had to obtain pure Benzoic Acid crystals from 2 grams of a crude material.

My question is for such an experiment, what is usually considered a good percentage yield? Or should I discuss my success based on my own techniques and patience with the experiment?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If you have no idea about the composition of the crude material, you can't say anything about what is a good yield.

4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    I see, that is what I was thinking. It is just that they asked for us to discuss the success of our experiments, but that is a general format for all labs in this course. I would assume I could just discuss based on my own ideas and thoughts.

Thanks by the way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?