CS, Math, Statistics where to go from here?

In summary, the speaker is finishing up their lower division math requirements and considering different degree options. They are unsure about their interest in upper division mathematics and are considering an applied math degree for job prospects. They initially thought they would enjoy being a statistics major, but their first class has been difficult and uninteresting. They enjoyed their intro CS classes, but had a tough experience with other courses. They are seeking advice and are unsure about job prospects in CS.
Intervenient
I'm about to finish my lower division math requirements, which will cover everything for all my lower division coursework for all three subjects, bar 3 programing coures, one that can be taken next quarter, and the other 2 which can be taken concurrently in the beginning of next quarter. If I do the degree in CS, it'd be the BA because I can finish up the degree requirements in 2 years, and take extra courses if necessary after that. Worse comes to worse, I have very little debt, and could just do the BS.

However, in terms of interest, I'm very confused. I'm not very sure I'd like upper division mathematics. I enjoy doing the proofs in my statistics class, but they are very hand-wavy and more equations manipulation, rather than the more rigorous ones seen in mathematics courses. The math department does offer an applied math degree, which has business applications and the like so I'd be able to get a job.

I thought that I'd enjoy being a statistics major, but my first class is not only killing me, but also pretty dull and boring. It's probability, and from what I gather, it's only a portion of what a statistician deals with, but thus far it hasn't left the impression on me and it being my passion. Even then if I slogged through the program, to get a job, I'd have to go to grad school for sure and get at least a masters, which is extremely competitive, even for 2nd tier schools it seems.

And then there's CS. I really enjoyed the two intro classes I took (A- in intro with Python, B in problem solving with C), but I became turned off after the subject after I took a particularly tough quarter in which I took Calc II, Physics 1, CS and Philosophy all at once (I had no prior physics work, a poor quarter in Calc, missed a week to kidney stones...and I was a terrible, lazy student). However, it was the only time in my college experience where I felt compelled to work hard and solve problems, and that I was learning something new and useful. Now that my math is completed, at worst I'd have to take physics alongside a CS course, but never the 3-peat and bad study skills.

Does anyone have any sort of advise, know of any similar situations, etc etc? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I hear that most jobs in CS suck. So what's the point in doing anything? :/

Intervenient said:
Also, I hear that most jobs in CS suck. So what's the point in doing anything? :/

I'm not sure what you or "they" mean by "suck," but if you're enjoying something, the degree to which someone else finds it interesting is irrelevant. I dare say that you should ignore statements along of the lines of "such-and-such jobs suck." Those phrases are completely subjective and should be taken lightly, if you even choose to consider them at all.

1. What career options are available with a degree in CS, Math, or Statistics?

There are a wide range of career opportunities available with a degree in CS, Math, or Statistics. Some common options include software development, data analysis, actuarial science, financial analysis, and research. These fields are in high demand and offer competitive salaries.

2. Should I pursue a graduate degree or enter the workforce with a bachelor's degree?

This decision ultimately depends on your career goals and personal interests. If you want to pursue more advanced research or leadership roles, a graduate degree may be necessary. However, many entry-level positions in the CS, Math, and Statistics fields only require a bachelor's degree. Consider your long-term goals and research the job market in your desired field to make an informed decision.

3. How do I stay updated on new developments and advancements in these fields?

Staying updated on new developments and advancements in CS, Math, and Statistics is crucial for success in these fields. You can attend conferences and workshops, read industry publications and journals, and follow experts and organizations in your field on social media. Additionally, consider joining professional organizations and participating in online forums to stay connected with others in your field.

4. How can I gain practical experience while in school?

There are several ways to gain practical experience while in school. You can participate in internships, research projects, or co-op programs. These opportunities allow you to apply your knowledge in a real-world setting and gain valuable skills and experience. Additionally, consider participating in hackathons, coding competitions, and open-source projects to enhance your practical skills.

5. Are there any specific skills or languages I should focus on learning?

The specific skills and languages you should focus on learning may depend on your career goals and interests. However, some common and in-demand skills in CS, Math, and Statistics include programming languages such as Python, R, Java, and C++, as well as data analysis and machine learning techniques. It's also important to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and tools in your field to stay competitive in the job market.