Cubic approximation multivariable taylor series

In summary, the author is not using a Taylor expansion, but is using approximations of the form \sin x_1 \approx p_1(x_1) \equiv \frac{120}{\pi^5} x_1 (x_1 - \pi ).\sin 2x_1 \approx p_2(x_1) \equiv \frac{315}{4 \pi^6} (2 x_1 - \pi)(2 x_1 – 2 \pi)\\ \cos x_1 \approx p_3(x_1) \equiv \frac{315}{4 \pi^6} (x_1 + \frac{\pi
abdooo89
hi everyone , i don't understand these steps for Taylor Expansion , it has used for state space equations
the equations are

image.jpg

the approximations for sin and cos

image.jpg

the equation for Taylor series is ( i don't understand at all )

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

please help me if you can

Physics news on Phys.org
please help me

Perhaps people need more help to understand what you are saying. You say "I don't understand these steps for Taylor expansion". The Taylor expansion of what function? And you have "taking the Taylor expansion of Eqn." Of what equation? There seems to be a lot here you are telling us.

taking the Taylor expansion of Eqn ,

i mean equations ( X'1 to X'8 )

after that Taylor expansion has been taken like that

ΔX'={ A0 + ΔA1(ΔX1)+ΔA3(ΔX3)+ΔA11(ΔX1^2))ΔX+B0 Δu → ( xx)

i don't understand equation ( xx = taylor expansion ) , and how can i get A0 , ΔA1 , ΔA3, ΔA11

i mean which rule they used to get A0 , ΔA1 , ΔA3, ΔA11

the complete file has been attached

Attachments

• 00673399.pdf
    363.8 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
abdooo89 said:
taking the Taylor expansion of Eqn ,

i mean equations ( X'1 to X'8 )

after that Taylor expansion has been taken like that

ΔX'={ A0 + ΔA1(ΔX1)+ΔA3(ΔX3)+ΔA11(ΔX1^2))ΔX+B0 Δu → ( xx)

i don't understand equation ( xx = taylor expansion ) , and how can i get A0 , ΔA1 , ΔA3, ΔA11

i mean which rule they used to get A0 , ΔA1 , ΔA3, ΔA11

the complete file has been attached

The author is NOT (at least initially) using Taylor expansions. He uses approximations of the form
[tex] \sin x_1 \approx p_1(x_1) \equiv \frac{120}{\pi^5} x_1 (x_1 - \pi )\\
\sin 2x_1 \approx p_2(x_1) \equiv \frac{315}{4 \pi^6} (2 x_1 - \pi)(2 x_1 – 2 \pi)\\
\cos x_1 \approx p_3(x_1) \equiv \frac{315}{4 \pi^6} (x_1 + \frac{\pi}{2}) (x_1 - \frac{3 \pi}{2})
[/tex]
etcetera. These are not Taylor expansions; if you read carefully you will see that he makes it clear in the article that he claims he is using a form of least-squares approximation to ##\sin x_1##, etc. However, it appears the author makes some errors; he should have
[tex] \sin x_1 \approx \frac{120}{\pi^5} x_1 (\pi - x_1)[/tex]
with sign opposite sign to what he writes; if you plot the two functions you will see that the approximation is not too bad over the interval ##x \in [0,\pi]##. However, the approximations ##p_2## and ##p_3## are horrible: they do not resemble the functions ##\sin 2x_1## and ##\cos x_1## at all, as you can see by plotting them.

First, thank you for your reply, secondly I want to know if this approximations (p2 and p3) are not valid or horrible as you say, what is your advice for me to do?

and why ΔA3 =0

Last edited:
no one want to help me?

What is a cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series?

A cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series is a mathematical technique used to approximate a multivariable function using a polynomial of degree 3 (cubic). It is based on Taylor's theorem, which states that any smooth function can be approximated by a polynomial of sufficiently high degree.

How is a cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series different from a regular Taylor series?

A cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series is different from a regular Taylor series in that it uses a polynomial of degree 3 instead of a polynomial of higher degree. This can make the approximation more accurate and computationally efficient for certain functions.

What is the purpose of using a cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series?

The purpose of using a cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series is to approximate a multivariable function using a polynomial of degree 3. This can be useful in many applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics, where complex functions need to be approximated in order to make predictions or solve problems.

How is a cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series calculated?

The cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series is calculated by taking the first three derivatives of the function at a given point and plugging them into the Taylor series formula. The formula involves a sum of terms, each of which includes a derivative of the function evaluated at the given point and a constant multiple of the distance between the given point and the point at which the approximation is being calculated.

What are the limitations of using a cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series?

One limitation of using a cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series is that it can only approximate smooth functions and may not work well for functions with discontinuities or sharp changes. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the distance between the given point and the point at which the approximation is being calculated, so it may not be as accurate for points that are far from the given point. Finally, the computational complexity of calculating and using a cubic approximation multivariable Taylor series can be high for functions with many variables.