Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cubic non-linear inequality (HELP)

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1
    I just can't figure this out one question from my review test. I don't know hot to express it graphically or algebraically. VlOaP.png

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see any inequality.

As far as expressing the equation graphically, you just plot it.

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Try to decompose the cubic expression to find the zeros, meaning find if possible its linear and any quadratic factors (if quadratic factor cannot be factored further). It may have as many as three zeros, but not more. The function (now being equal to zero) is in possibly four intervals. You don't show us the direction of your inequality but you say you want to analyze the inequality; but anyway, you check the quality of the value of the "inequality" for each interval of the x axis and determine if the x value is true for the inequality or false.

EDIT: harder than I thought. +1 is not a root and -1 is not a root. Rational Root theorem will not work.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. Dec 9, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook