Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility

In summary, the ferromagnetism property results in a 'self-consistency' equation that states that the average spin at a site is the same as the spin at the nearest neighbours. The Curie temperature is given when the gradient of the effective field is 1.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Show the curie-weiss behaviour.
(b) Estimate ##\lambda## and ##B_e## and exchange energy.[/B]
2011_B6_Q8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)
Since even when applied field is zero, ##B_{total} \neq 0## which gives rise to ##M\neq 0##. This is a fundamental property of ferromagnetism.
Consider the spin-1/2 ising model:
[tex]H = \sum\limits_{\langle i,j \rangle} J_{ij} \sigma_i \sigma_j - \sum\limits_i g \mu_B \sigma_i \cdot \vec B [/tex]
[tex]H_i = \left( g \mu_B B_{applied} - J \sum\limits_j \sigma_j \right)\sigma_i [/tex]
We represent the term in the brackets by an effective field ##B_e##:
[tex]H_i = \left( g \mu_B B_e \right)\sigma_i [/tex]
Average spin at site ##i## is given by
[tex]\langle \sigma \rangle = -\frac{1}{2} \tanh \left( \frac{\beta g \mu_B B_e}{2}\right) [/tex]
By the mean-field approach, we assume that ##\langle \sigma \rangle## is the same at all sites, giving:
[tex]g \mu_B B_{app} - J z \sigma_j = g \mu_B B_e [/tex]
where ##z## is the number of nearest neighbours, or coordination number.

This leads to a 'self-consistency' equation
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\tanh \left[ \frac{\beta}{2} \left( Jz\langle \sigma\rangle - g\mu_B B \right) \right] = \langle \sigma \rangle [/tex]
At zero appleid field, Curie temperature is given when gradient = 1, so
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{\beta}{2}Jz \right) = 1 [/tex]
[tex]T_c = \frac{Jz}{4 k_B} [/tex]

For the curie-weiss behaviour, we expand for small ##\langle \sigma \rangle##:
[tex] \langle \sigma\rangle = \frac{ \frac{\beta}{4}g \mu_B B_{app} }{frac{\beta}{4} Jz - 1} [/tex]
[tex] \langle \sigma\rangle = \frac{\frac{1}{4} \frac{g \mu_B B_{app}}{k_B}}{T-T_c}[/tex]
[tex]M = g n \mu_B \langle \sigma \rangle = \frac{\frac{1}{4} \frac{(g \mu_B)^2 n B_{app}}{k_B}}{T-T_c} [/tex]
[tex]\chi = \mu_0 \frac{\partial M}{\partial B_{app}} = \frac{1}{4} (g\mu_B)^2 \frac{n}{k_B} \frac{1}{T-T_C} [/tex]

Part(b)
I found the coordination number at ##T = 1024 K## and ##J=1## using
[tex]T_c = \frac{Jz}{4 k_B} [/tex]
It gave ##z = 5.7 \times 10^{-20}## which seems wrong as the number of neighbours should be a whole number..

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpp on part (b) - non-integer number of neighbours!

bump on (b) - doesn't make sense to have non-integer number of neighbours

Bump on - (b) please

part (b) - number of neighbours?

What is Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility?

Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility is a physical property of materials that describes how easily they become magnetized when exposed to an external magnetic field. It is named after the scientists Pierre Curie and Pierre Weiss who first studied and described this phenomenon.

How is Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility measured?

Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device applies a known magnetic field to the material and measures the resulting magnetization. The ratio of the magnetization to the applied field is known as the susceptibility.

What factors affect the Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility of a material?

The Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility of a material is affected by several factors, including the atomic structure, the number of unpaired electrons, and the strength of the applied magnetic field. Materials with a larger number of unpaired electrons and a weaker applied field tend to have a higher susceptibility.

What is the difference between Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility and ferromagnetism?

The main difference between Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility and ferromagnetism is that the latter is a much stronger and more permanent type of magnetism. Ferromagnetic materials have a high Curie-Weiss temperature, above which they lose their magnetization, while paramagnetic materials maintain their magnetization even at high temperatures.

How is Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility used in scientific research?

Curie-Weiss Paramagnetism susceptibility is an important property that is used in many areas of scientific research, including materials science, chemistry, and physics. It is often used to study the magnetic properties of different materials and to understand the behavior of electrons in magnetic fields. It also has applications in the development of new magnetic materials and devices.