Curie's Law and 3rd Law of Thermodynamics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
pitbull
Gold Member
Messages
25
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


"According to 3rd Principle of Thermodynamics, prove whether or not paramagnetic substances obey Curie's Law at temperatures close to 0K"

Homework Equations


Curie's Law: M=CH/T

The Attempt at a Solution


I've done some research and I found this link (on page 245): http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/1949/giauque-lecture.pdf
It says that Curie's Law fails at temperatures close to 0K, but I don't know why. Is it because M goes to infinite?
Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If M = CH/T what does this predict as you lower the temp? What does H due to the magnetization. Physically what does the magnetic field do to the atoms? Is there a limit to the value of M? What happens at 0 deg K? ( Think no excited states.) How does this compare to what Curies Law states?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pitbull