Curiosity Rover makes Earth shattering discovery !

1. Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

Universetoday.com

Hope it doesn't end like the Clinton fiasco.

2. jcsd
  3. Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

Damn! I can't wait for this release now!

4. berkeman

"gonna"? :rolleyes:

5. russ_watters

From the Pons and Fleischman school of hype.

6. :frown:

7. berkeman

Oh crap, don't make me start to laugh. I broke a rib in a MTB crash 2 days ago... No fair!

8. russ_watters

Ouch. Was the tree moving too fast for its own safety? That's why physics is so great -- you can declare your speed to be whatever you want it to be.

Whatever, I'm sure this will be at least as big as the last time they found life on Mars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Hills_84001#Possible_biogenic_features

9. Chronos

Chronos 9,992
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We expected 'earth shaking' results from the curiousity mission, so no big surprise they found some. What it means may be a different story. My suspicion is they found evidence of ancient martian life, that probably existed billions of years ago. It remains exciting.

10. Ygggdrasil

Ygggdrasil 1,617
    Science Advisor

The last time NASA had an "important" discovery they were about to announce (the discovery of a microorganism that uses arsenic in its DNA), the findings were almost immediately criticized by experts in the field pointing to fundamental flaws in the design of the experiments, the interpretations of the results, and the conclusions of the study. Subsequent follow up studies by a number of labs later showed the main findings of the arsenic study to be incorrect.

Hopefully NASA has learned its lesson and will a bit more careful about making extraordinary claims.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  11. Re: Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

Or they have found the remains of an old Union Jack :tongue2:

12. Re: Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

Call me naive but I would find any confirmation of Martian life incredibly exciting. :bugeye:

Can't someone here more familiar with the technologies involved shed light on what such a 'discovery for the history books' might be? Below is a quote from a commenter on the yahoo news story which seems like a good start:

13. Borek

I wonder if the wording is in any way important here. It is an "Earth shattering discovery", not a "Mars shattering discovery". I am not going to speculate on the differences, but...

14. Re: Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

I would speculate that Curiosity found the four nucleotides of DNA in a single Martian sample. That wouldn't be all that thrilling in itself, because these nucleotides are also found in asteroids, but if the nucleotides were found in shocking amounts then that might suggest they are the product of (past) life. That would be pretty cool, but boy am I hoping for a big fossil or alien artifact instead. ;)

15. Re: Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

It appears the discovery was made with the SAM instrument. Reading about the SAM instrument package at the Curiosity web site, it says "SAM is a suite of three instruments totaling 40 kg, located in the Curiosity rover's interior: a 6-column Gas Chromatograph (GC), a Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer (QMS), and a Tunable Laser Spectrometer (TLS). These instruments are coupled through solid and gas processing systems to provide complementary information on the same samples. Each sample may be analyzed by one, two, or all three of the SAM instruments."

So I don't think it includes a microscope, so they couldn't have found fossils or the like. Probably they have detected organic molecules of some type that are (or may be) attributable to life. We'll have to wait and see what they say.

16. Re: Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

Life on Mars? Maybe not ... NASA downplays discovery - SMH
    Nooooo. :cry:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  17. Re: Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

Maybe Curiosity found an ancient alien cold fusion device? (sorry :smile:)
    I find the news thrilling, can't wait to hear what it's about (or not).

18. Re: Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

[​IMG]

A guy can dream, can't he?

19. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch 1,348
    Gold Member

I'm putting my money on weapons of mass destruction.
    If history is anything to go by, this should ensure funding for manned mission to Mars, regardless of their actual existence.

20. Re: Curiosity Rover makes "Earth shattering discovery"!

sigh.. science..,guys.??

21. berkeman

Yes, very good point. Thread closed until there is an official announcement, Report my post to the Mentor forums when we can re-open the thread for substantive discussion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?