1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curl and Divergence etc algebra manipulating quick question

1. May 29, 2016 #1
    ##\nabla p = \rho \nabla \phi ##

My textbook says that by taking the curl we get:

## 0=\nabla \rho X \nabla \phi ## **

I don't follow. I understand the LHS is zero, by taking the curl of a divergence.
    But I'm unsure as to how we get it into this form, from which it is clear that the gradients of ##\rho## and
    ##\phi## are parallel, since I get:

##\nabla X \rho \nabla \phi ##, I know that the curl acting on a scalar field doesn't make sense, I would get ##\rho \nabla X \nabla \phi ##, taking the scalar field ##\rho## to the left since it can not be operated on by a curl. I don't see how you would get **

Many thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2016 #2
    It is rather straightforward to prove that
    [tex]
    \nabla \times (a \mathbf{B}) = (\nabla a) \times \mathbf{B} + a (\nabla \times \mathbf{B})
    [/tex]
    where ##a## is a scalar field and ##\mathbf{B}## is a vector field. This formula is also readily available in most lists of vector calculus identities (although I would strongly recommend you try to prove it yourself)

4. May 29, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

One quick comment: The LHS is the curl of a "gradient". (The curl of a gradient is zero and so is the divergence of a curl).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted