1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current-Carrying Wire/Magnet Question

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The illustration shows a current-carrying wire between magnetic poles. The arrows in the illustration show the direction of the current.

A. In the illustration above, will side X be forced up or down?

B. How far will the wire rotate before it stops? Why?

2. Relevant equations
    I used the right-hand rule for the first, but I have no idea how to solve the second.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer to A is up, correct? I tried to use the right-hand rule and it seems correct, but could someone confirm I'm on the right track?

I have no idea how to solve the second... I would assume that it will not be able to infinitely rotate, right?

Thank you soooo much for any help you could provide. :approve: Physics is not my strong subject... T.T
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #2
    Do you have to consider the magnetic field of the magnet only, or do you have to include interaction between the wire itself?
    In my opinion (I've used the right hand also), the wire won't experience a vertical force at all.
  4. Aug 5, 2007 #3
    When the wire turns and goes beyond 90 degrees, the force changes direction... this causes it to stop. Thats what you have to find out. The only vertical force here is gravity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?