Current density at the surface of a magnetised material

In summary, the problem is asking for an expression for the current density per unit length on the surface of a magnetized material. This can be calculated using the relation between bound current and magnetization. Ohm's Law is not applicable in this scenario. The correct equation to use is K = I/M x n, where K is the surface current density and n is the normal vector to the surface.
dave4000

Homework Statement

Write down an expression for the current density per unit length flowing at the surface of a magnetised material.

The Attempt at a Solution

746f0b5069a5b2eaca153e910283eae5.png

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
E is the electric field, but there's no electric field in this problem, so that equation can't apply, can it?

It sounds to me like the problem is talking about the density of bound current. There's a simple expression for that in terms of the magnetization... you can look it up, or if you think about it you can probably come up with the relation on your own. (It might help to imagine each atom of the magnetized material as a tiny little current loop)

You've written down Ohm's law which isn't the right equation to use. I think you're looking for [itex]\vec{K}[/itex], the surface current density, K is the current per unit width perpendicular to the flow?

Sorted! Its I=M X n

What is current density at the surface of a magnetised material?

Current density at the surface of a magnetised material refers to the amount of electric current per unit area at the surface of the material. It is a measure of how concentrated the flow of electric current is at the surface of the material.

How is current density at the surface of a magnetised material calculated?

Current density at the surface of a magnetised material can be calculated by dividing the current passing through the material by the surface area. This is represented by the formula J = I/A, where J is the current density, I is the current, and A is the surface area.

What factors affect the current density at the surface of a magnetised material?

The current density at the surface of a magnetised material can be affected by several factors, such as the strength of the magnetic field, the conductivity of the material, and the thickness of the material. The orientation of the magnetisation and the shape of the material can also influence the current density.

Why is current density at the surface of a magnetised material important?

Current density at the surface of a magnetised material is important because it can help determine the efficiency of the material in conducting electric current. It is also a critical factor in understanding the behavior of electric circuits and can be used to calculate the magnetic field at the surface of the material.

How does current density at the surface of a magnetised material affect the material's magnetic properties?

The current density at the surface of a magnetised material has a direct influence on its magnetic properties. It can affect the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the material's ability to retain its magnetisation. In materials with high current density, the magnetic field is stronger and more stable, while low current density may result in weaker and less stable magnetisation.