1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current density at the surface of a magnetised material

1. May 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write down an expression for the current density per unit length flowing at the surface of a magnetised material.

3. The attempt at a solution

746f0b5069a5b2eaca153e910283eae5.png

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

E is the electric field, but there's no electric field in this problem, so that equation can't apply, can it?

It sounds to me like the problem is talking about the density of bound current. There's a simple expression for that in terms of the magnetization... you can look it up, or if you think about it you can probably come up with the relation on your own. (It might help to imagine each atom of the magnetized material as a tiny little current loop)

4. May 14, 2009 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You've written down Ohm's law which isn't the right equation to use. I think you're looking for [itex]\vec{K}[/itex], the surface current density, K is the current per unit width perpendicular to the flow?

5. May 19, 2009 #4
    Sorted! Its I=M X n

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook