1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current density of a moving conductor or conducting fluid

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    I beg you to understand my poor Eng..
    If there is any poor grammar or spelling..plz correct me..

While studying MHD with "An Introduction to Magnetohydrodynamics" written by Davidson,
    I encountered the term 'current density'..
    As you know well, empirically,
    \mathbf{J} = \sigma \mathbf{E}
    with electric field being measured in a frame of reference in which the charged test particle is at rest.

It says
    I can't understand this "empirical" Ohm's law for moving conductor(or conducting fluid) because, to my knowledge, [tex] \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r},t) = \rho_e(\mathbf{r},t)\mathbf{v}(\mathbf{r},t) [/tex] is thought to be the more fundamental definition of current density. It is basically a vector having the (net) direction of charged particles drift velocity..
    But [tex] \mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{B} [/tex] clearly does not coincide in direction with [tex] \mathbf{u} [/tex]..

Also, I'd like to raise a question about the e.m.f. generated by a relative movemnet of the imposed magnetic field and the moving fluid. Why is it of order [tex] |\mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{B}| [/tex]? Does it come from Faraday's law?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    I couldn't understand all your doubts

i will post some comments which may help

the current density vector [tex]
    need not be in the direction of u, it can be found in any direction. so u x B may not necessarily coincide with u.

may be in a wire the J is maximum in direction of u and it is of interest

the magnetic force component u x B is also responsible for genrating an emf. the equation used to arrive to this result should be faraday and maxwells equation.

i would like to read some material and give you a concrete explanation
  4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    In J = σ·E, σ is electrical conductance (ohm-m)-1.

In F = σ·V(E + v x B), σ is charge density (Coulombs per unit volume).

I think.

Bob S
  5. Jan 14, 2010 #4
    suppose that the prescribed magnetic field [tex] \mathbf{B} = B_0 \hat{\mathbf{z}} [/tex] is present..and suppose that ,at time t, at the origin of the inertial frame, a particle with charge q moves along the y-direction with velocity u..then the Lorentz force due to magnetic field is in the x-direction..and there is e.m.f generated around the origin..

then what is the current density at the origin at that time? is it not just [tex]q\mathbf{u}[/tex]?
  6. Jan 14, 2010 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook