Current due to metal spheres kept far away in the sea

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
Pushoam
Messages
961
Reaction score
53

Homework Statement


upload_2017-9-1_11-5-1.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I solved the first part.
I = 4πσV/(1/a - 1/b)
Here, it is solved assuming that both the shells have positive charges and the charge flows from the inner shell to the outer shell .
So, in the part c, it is assumed that each shell has the same charge distribution and from each shell the charge will flow into the sea.
Since, the total charge flowing into the medium is twice the charge flowing from each shell, the current into the sea = 2 I = 2πσVa.
Is it correct so far?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) and (b) are about current flowing from an electrode at a higher potential to an electrode at a lower potential via a resistance . No different in principle to connecting a resistance across the terminals of a battery .

The electrodes in this problem just happen to be in the form of shells .

The only difficulty in finding the current flowing between the shells is in working out what the effective resistance of the weekly conducting material between the shells is . That requires a simple exercise in calculus .
 
Last edited:
Nidum said:
Part (a) and (b) are about current flowing from an electrode at a higher potential to an electrode at a lower potential via a resistance . No different in principle to connecting a resistance across the terminals of a battery .

The electrodes in this problem just happen to be in the form of shells .

The only difficulty in finding the current flowing between the shells is in working out what the effective resistance of the weekly conducting material between the shells is . That requires a simple exercise in calculus .
I solved the part a and b. I want to know that in part c , whether the current flows from one shell to another or the current flows from both shells to the sea.
Pushoam said:
So, in the part c, it is assumed that each shell has the same charge distribution and from each shell the charge will flow into the sea.
Since, the total charge flowing into the medium is twice the charge flowing from each shell, the current into the sea = 2 I = 2πσVa.
Is it correct so far?
 
Pushoam said:
I solved the part a and b. I want to know that in part c , whether the current flows from one shell to another or the current flows from both shells to the sea.
I believe the current flows from one shell to the other i.e. from higher potential to lower potential.
 
cnh1995 said:
I believe the current flows from one shell to the other i.e. from higher potential to lower potential.
Yes, I missed it.
Pushoam said:
Since, the total charge flowing into the medium is twice the charge flowing from each shell, the current into the sea = 2 I = 2πσVa.
The above is wrong.
Let's say that the left one has the potential -V/2 and the right one has the potential V/2 wrt a certain point between the two spheres.
Since the two spheres are kept far apart, the charges flow from the right sphere into the sea and from the sea into the left sphere.
The magnitude of the current is given by I = 4πσ(V/2)a = 2πσVa
 
cnh1995 said:
I believe the current flows from one shell to the other i.e. from higher potential to lower potential.
Yes, I missed it.
Pushoam said:
Since, the total charge flowing into the medium is twice the charge flowing from each shell, the current into the sea = 2 I = 2πσVa.
The above is wrong.
Let's say that the left one has the potential -V/2 and the right one has the potential V/2 wrt a certain point between the two spheres.
Since the two spheres are kept far apart, the charges flow from the right sphere into the sea and from the sea into the left sphere.
The magnitude of the current is given by I = 4πσ(V/2)a = 2πσVa
 
haruspex said:
How did 1/a turn into a?
I = 4πσV/(1/a - 1/b)
Taking b to be infinity,
I = 4πσV/(1/a )= ## \frac {4πσV}{(1/a )}## = 4πσVa
In part c, V→½V,
So, I →2πσVa
 
Pushoam said:
I = 4πσV/(1/a - 1/b)
Taking b to be infinity,
I = 4πσV/(1/a )= ## \frac {4πσV}{(1/a )}## = 4πσVa
In part c, V→½V,
So, I →2πσVa
Sorry, I missed the first "/".