In summary, the correct diagram for the electric field lines of the system is one with 12 arrows pointing out of the shell and 6 arrows pointing out of the inner sphere. This is because the net charge of the system is 12μC and the charges on the shell are distributed between its inner and outer surfaces. The inner +6μC charge induces a -6μC on the inner surface of the outer shell, resulting in a total charge of +12μC on the outer surface.
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

A metal sphere of charge +6μC is surrounded by a metal shell of net charge +6μC. Which of the following diagrams represents the electric field lines of the system?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer provided by my teacher is a figure with 12 arrows pointing out of the shell, and 6 arrows pointing out of the inner sphere.

Can you guys explain to me physically and in detail why this is the case? My guess is that since the net charge of the system is 6+6=12μC, 12 arrows would be pointing out in total.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sho Kano said:
Can you guys explain to me physically and in detail why this is the case? My guess is that since the net charge of the system is 6+6=12μC, 12 arrows would be pointing out in total.
That is correct. If you want a more detailed view, consider how the charges on the shell are distributed between its inner and outer surfaces.

Likes Sho Kano
haruspex said:
That is correct. If you want a more detailed view, consider how the charges on the shell are distributed between its inner and outer surfaces.
Hi haruspex,
I'm guessing that the inner +6μC would induce a -6μC on the inner surface of the outer shell. Thus the total charge Q is:
Q = 6 = -6 + q_outer
q_outer = +12μC

Sho Kano said:
Hi haruspex,
I'm guessing that the inner +6μC would induce a -6μC on the inner surface of the outer shell. Thus the total charge Q is:
Q = 6 = -6 + q_outer
q_outer = +12μC
Yes.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the effect of electric charges on each other. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How are electric field lines formed?

Electric field lines are formed by plotting the direction of the electric field at various points in space. They point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

Why do electric field lines originate from a metal shell?

Electric field lines originate from a metal shell because the charges on the surface of the shell repel each other, causing the electric field to spread out from the surface.

Do electric field lines always follow a straight path?

No, electric field lines can curve and bend depending on the arrangement of charges in space. They will always point in the direction of the electric field at any given point.

What is the purpose of using a sphere to visualize electric field lines?

A sphere is used to visualize electric field lines because it represents a symmetrical distribution of charges. This makes it easier to understand and visualize the direction of the electric field at different points on the surface of the sphere.