1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current from stream of particles

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An α (Alpha) particle consists of two neutrons and two protons bound together into a single particle with a charge of +2e. We normally measure the kinetic energy of such particles in millions "electron volts" or MeV. (1 eV = 1.6 X 10-19J).

Assume a steady stream of α particles travels with a constant energy of 20 MeV and carries a current of 2 μA.

a) If the beam is directed perpendicular to a plane target, how many α's will strike this target in 5 seconds?
    b) At any given instant, how many α's are in a 15 cm length of the beam?
    c) Through what electrical potential diffence [sic] is it necessary to accelerate each α from rest to bring it to the energy of 20 MeV?

2. Relevant equations

v = ir
    r = p*l/a
    E = .5*mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the velocity of the particles.
    But I don't know how many particles go through a point in 1 second.

if I can get a, b falls in to place.

but I have no idea how to start c

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is what the current gives you. 1 Ampere = 1 Coulomb/second

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3
    *facepalm* duh!

the current on the stream is 2 uA, so we have 2*10^-6 *1/(2e) := N1 particles going through a point
    the unit is Particles/S
    multiply that by 5, to get the number of particles passing through a point in 5 seconds

the velocity is about 30000000 m/s. so, it takes .15/3e7 seconds to cover 15 cm
    in .15/3e7 seconds, there are (.15/3e6)*(N1) = 30287 particles going through a point

lastly, to bring a particle to V = U/q, so V = 20 MeV / (2eV) = 10000000

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Happens to me all the time ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook