How many alpha particles strike a plane target in 8 seconds?

In summary, there is a steady stream of alpha particles with a constant energy of 20 MeV and a current of 2.5 μA. In 8 seconds, the number of alpha particles striking a plane target when the beam is directed perpendicular to it can be calculated by multiplying the current by the duration and the number of elementary charges per alpha particle. Additionally, to accelerate an alpha particle from rest to 20 MeV, an electrical potential difference is necessary.
typeinnocent

Homework Statement

Assume a steady stream of α particles travels with a constant energy of 20 MeV and carries a current of 2.5 μA.

a) If the beam is directed perpendicular to a plane target, how many α's will strike this target in 8 seconds?
b) At any given instant, how many α's are in a 20 cm length of the beam?
c) Through what electrical potential diffence is it necessary to accelerate each α from rest to bring it to the energy of 20 MeV?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea how to solve any of these questions. The only thing I could think to do was find how many protons were in the current by multiplying 2.5E-6 by 8 seconds to give me the amount of Coulombs. I then multiplied that by 6.2415E18 e/C to get the number of elementary charges. I thought this solution may be the answer to part a) but it wasn't. So now I'm lost.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many elementary charges are there per alpha?

There's two protons per alpha particle.

It was a hint.

I don't want to be rude, but that really doesn't help me... I still don't know what to do.

If you know how many elementary charges hit the surface, and you know how many elementary charges there are per alpha particle, then ...

Oh, wow. See, I had thought my entire methodology was incorrect... I didn't realize I was actually close to the answer for part a). Thanks! Now I at least have part a) correct.

What is the source of current from alpha particles?

The source of current from alpha particles is the movement of positively charged helium nuclei through a conductive material.

How are alpha particles able to create a current?

Alpha particles are able to create a current because they have a high kinetic energy and are able to transfer their energy to the electrons in the material, causing them to move and create a flow of electricity.

What is the relationship between the number of alpha particles and the amount of current produced?

The amount of current produced is directly proportional to the number of alpha particles present. In other words, the more alpha particles there are, the more current will be produced.

Can alpha particles be used as a source of sustainable energy?

No, alpha particles are not a sustainable source of energy as they are produced through nuclear decay and cannot be artificially created or sustained.

What is the significance of current from alpha particles in the field of nuclear physics?

The study of current from alpha particles is important in nuclear physics as it helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of these particles, which in turn can provide valuable insights into nuclear reactions and processes.