Particle Motion in a Magnetic field

In summary, the student is trying to solve a differential equation for the motion of a charged particle. The equations have the same form as the equation for the motion of a free particle, and can be solved using auxiliary functions and homogeneous equations. The final solution is found by integrating the solution with respect to time.
Macykc2

Homework Statement

Consider a charged particle entering a region of uniform magnetic field B - for example the Earth's field. Determine it's subsequent motion when the y-axis is parallel with the magnetic field

Homework Equations

F=qv x B = ma
vector components of velocity, acceleration, and magnetic field

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't homework, it's an example from the book, but they skip many gory details that I can't seem to figure out, and the way we did it in class makes even less sense.

To cut a long story short, eventually I get two equations:
z'''=-α2z' and x'''=-α2x'
Then the book says they use the technique's used in appendix C, which are the use of Auxiliary functions (or characteristic) and homogeneous equations, which we aren't using in class apparently, I'd like to know how they are used and the examples given in the back make sense, but they are all 2nd degree functions, not 3rd like mine.
My attempt with the equations as they are:
r32r=0
which I can see 3 solutions from:
r=0, r=±iα
the second solution will yield the cos and sin functions I desire, but I'm missing a "t" that needs to be with the alpha in the trig functions and I have no idea how to get it.
x=Acos(αt) + Bsin(αt) + x0
z=A'cos(αt) + Bsin(αt) + z0 These two are the end results in the book
I feel as if though I'm supposed to integrate the functions first which will give me the initial position constants, but I don't know where the "t" comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
Macykc2 said:
To cut a long story short, eventually I get two equations:
z'''=-α2z' and x'''=-α2x'
Are those triple derivatives? Why?

Can you just post a diagram of the situation, and show how the Lorentz force guides the motion of the charged particle?

Here are the pics straight from the book, I thought this would be easier than typing it out, hopefully they turn out fine.

Attachments

• part1 copy.jpg
    part1 copy.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 389
  • part 2.jpg
    part 2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 378
Macykc2 said:
Here are the pics straight from the book, I thought this would be easier than typing it out, hopefully they turn out fine.
Yoiks. Can you scan them and Upload them?

No sadly, I'll just type it out, give me a few mins

Thanks

Alright so the cartesian coordinate system is chosen with the y-axis parallel to the magnetic field. If q is the charge on the particle, v it's velocity, "a" it's acceleration, and B the Earth's magnetic field, then:
v=x'i + y'j + z'k
a = x''i + y''j + z''k
B = Boj
The magnetic force F=qv X B = ma, so
m(x''i +y''j + z''k) = q(x'i + y'j +z'k) X Boj = qBo(x'k - z'i)​

Equating like vector components gives:
mx''=-qBoz'
my''=0
mz''=qBox'​
Integrating the second of these equations, my''=0, yields:
y'=yo'​
where yois a constant and is the initial value of y'. Integrating a second time gives:
y=yo't + yo
where yois also a constant.

To integrate the first and last equations (the x'' and z''), let α=qBo/m, so that
x''=-αz'
z''=αx'​
These coupled, simultaneous differential equations can be easily uncoupled by differentiating one and substituting it into the other, giving:
z'''=αx''=-α2z'
x'''=-αz''=-α2x'​
so that
z'''=-α2z'
x'''=-α2x'​

Everything up to here makes complete sense, but it is the bridge between here and this next part that I can't figure out:

Both of these differential equations have the same form of solution. Using auxiliary functions and homogeneous equations, we have:
x=Acos(αt) + Bsin(αt) + xo
z=A'cos(αt) + B'sin(αt) + zo

Also I should add this isn't the final solution to the problem, it's just the step I'm having trouble understanding.

Macykc2 said:
z'''=-α2z'
x'''=-α2x'
Macykc2 said:
Everything up to here makes complete sense, but it is the bridge between here and this next part that I can't figure out:

Both of these differential equations have the same form of solution. Using auxiliary functions and homogeneous equations, we have:
x=Acos(αt) + Bsin(αt) + xo
z=A'cos(αt) + B'sin(αt) + zo
Conside the equation ##x'''=-\alpha^2 x'##. If we define ##u=x'## then we can re-write it as
$$u''+\alpha^2 u=0.$$
The general solution to this, as you're probably aware, is:
$$u(t)=a\cos(\alpha t) + b\sin(\alpha t) = x'(t)$$
Now, just integrate the solution with respect to time, and we get
$$x(t) = A\cos(\alpha t)+B\sin(\alpha t) + x_0,$$
where, for example, ##A=-b/\alpha##.

Hope this helps.

What is particle motion in a magnetic field?

Particle motion in a magnetic field refers to the movement of charged particles in the presence of a magnetic field. This motion is influenced by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the velocity and charge of the particle.

What is the role of the Lorentz force in particle motion in a magnetic field?

The Lorentz force is responsible for the deflection of charged particles in a magnetic field. It is a force that acts perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle.

How does the direction of the magnetic field affect particle motion?

The direction of the magnetic field determines the direction of the Lorentz force, which in turn influences the path of the particle. The force will either push the particle in a circular path, parallel to the magnetic field, or cause it to spiral along the field lines.

What is the difference between diamagnetic, paramagnetic, and ferromagnetic particles in a magnetic field?

Diamagnetic particles are repelled by magnetic fields and will move in the opposite direction of the force. Paramagnetic particles are weakly attracted to magnetic fields and will move in the same direction as the force. Ferromagnetic particles are strongly attracted to magnetic fields and will align themselves with the field lines.

How can particle motion in a magnetic field be used in scientific research and technology?

Particle motion in a magnetic field is used in various scientific research and technological applications, such as particle accelerators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and particle detectors. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field.