Current in a 15mH inductor with 42μJ stored energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
BryceHarper
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
The current in an inductor when energy is stored. Please help!

Homework Statement



What's the current in a 15mH inductor when the stored energy is 42μJ

Homework Equations



E = 1/2 L i^2

The Attempt at a Solution



.000042J = (.5)(.015H)(i^2)
.000042J = (.0075)(i^2)
.0056 = i^2
√ (.0056) = i
.0748331 = i

I need to put the answer in with only two sig figs so i put in .07 but it was wrong
What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BryceHarper! :smile:
BryceHarper said:
I need to put the answer in with only two sig figs so i put in .07 but it was wrong

.07 is two decimal places but only one significant figure :wink: