Current in a Resistor network ( 2 parts of part b)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 15K views
hitman0097
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider the resistor network shown in the figure below, where R1= 5[tex]\Omega[/tex] and R2= 7[tex]\Omega[/tex] .
26_51alt.gif


(a) Find the equivalent resistance between points a and b
Req=([1/6 +1/5]+7)+12+6=(9.73)-1+18-1=6.32[tex]\Omega[/tex]

(b) If the potential drop between a and b is 12 V, find the current in each resistor.
I12[tex]\Omega[/tex]=I6[tex]\Omega[/tex]upper=12/18=2/3A
I6[tex]\Omega[/tex]lower=.56A
I5[tex]\Omega[/tex]=?
I7[tex]\Omega[/tex]=?

Homework Equations


Req=V/(Inet)
I=V/R; resistor in parallel I/2

The Attempt at a Solution


For I6[tex]\Omega[/tex]lower I think I just did V/11[tex]\Omega[/tex] and rounded.
Now for I5[tex]\Omega[/tex] shouldn't it be .53A or the same .56A they both got marked wrong though...
And for I7[tex]\Omega[/tex] shouldn't it be .56A+I5[tex]\Omega[/tex]
wrong answers for I7[tex]\Omega[/tex]:.92A,.615A, 1.09A,.67A I have one more attempt. I want to make it count.
wrong answers for I5[tex]\Omega[/tex]:.56A, 1.23A,.53A 2 more tries.
which I think is more important.

Also the total I would be 1.899A?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the current for the lower branch again. The 6 and 5 in parallel make 2.727 ohms, right? So the lower branch has resistance 7 + 2.727 and the current should be 12/9.727 = 1.23 A. That's the current through R2. You haven't said what I5 or I7 mean so I don't know what else you are having trouble with.
 
I5 would mean the current threw the 5 ohms resistor and I7 the current threw the 7ohms resistor
 
Ah I got it thanks the current threw the bottom wire was the key. So that would make I5=.67A and I7=I6lower+I5= 1.23A