Find initial current and resistance in a circuit

In summary: The voltmeter measures the voltage at the clamps of the non-ideal voltage source (= 12 V battery) so: what comes out of the dashed box. Namely the 12 V minus the voltage drop over Rs, the internal resistance.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a battery of internal resistance 0.50 Ω connected to a resistor X, which initially has a temperature of 0 °C. When the switch is closed, the voltmeter reading drops from 12.0 V to 10.0 V and then gradually rises to 10.5 V. The conversation includes discussions on the observations and explanations for
moenste

Homework Statement

A battery of internal resistance 0.50 Ω is connected (as shown below) through a switch S to a resistor X, which is initially at 0 °C. When S is closed, the voltmeter reading falls immediated from 12.0 V to 10.0 V. The reading then rises gradually to a steady value of 10.5 V.

822ceee9074e.jpg

(a) Explain these observations.
(b) Calculate: (i) the initial current when S is closed; (ii) the initial resistance of X; (iii) the resistance of X when he steady state has been reached.

Answers: (b) (i) 4.0 A, (ii) 2.5 Ω, (iii) 3.5 Ω.

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) Maybe it is the temperature that gives an increase over time to 10.5 V? The initial temperature increases from zero to some unknown value.

(b) (i) I tried to find the current via I = V / R = 12 / 0.5 = 24 A, but the answer is wrong.

(b) (ii) E = I (r + R) → 12 = 4 (from the answer) * (0.5 + R) → R = 2.5 Ω.

(b) (iii) I guess I'll need a new current to correctly calculate this part. 10.5 = 4 (0.5 + R) → R = 2.125 Ω, which is wrong.

So it's mostly about (a) and (b) (i). Is it due to the temperature in (a) and how to find current in (b) (i)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Starting with (b) is sensible thing to do. Your 24 A disregards the resistance X. You are supposed to compare the 12 V, 0 A case with the 10 V case when current flows. Where does the 2 V voltage drop occur ?

Likes moenste
moenste said:
(a) Maybe it is the temperature that gives an increase over time to 10.5 V? The initial temperature increases from zero to some unknown value.

Good thinking! You may want to add that for an ordinary conducting material, the resistance is expected to increase with temperature. How can you reconcile this with the observation that the voltage drifted from 10V to 10.5V? Also you may want to explain why the temperature of X goes up.

moenste said:
(b) (i) I tried to find the current via I = V / R = 12 / 0.5 = 24 A, but the answer is wrong.

The 0.50##\Omega## resistor and the load X are connected in series when the switch is closed. Is there really 12V across the 0.50##\Omega## resistor? Keep in mind that the battery puts out a maximum of 12V when it is not supplying a current and that the terminal voltage (which is measured after the 0.50##\Omega## resistor, hint hint) drops to 10V when it is supplying the unknown current.

moenste said:
(b) (iii) I guess I'll need a new current to correctly calculate this part. 10.5 = 4 (0.5 + R) → R = 2.125 Ω, which is wrong.

Does this current go through the 0.50##\Omega## resistor? Remember the voltage is measured after!

Likes moenste
Twigg said:
How can you reconcile this with the observation that the voltage drifted from 10V to 10.5V?
Hm, I think it should be like I = 20 A, RInitial = 15 Ω and RFinal = 16 Ω. So VInitial = I R = 20 * 15 = 300 V and VFinal = 20 * 16 = 320 V. So with the increase in resistance the voltage also increases. [Numbers are solely for example purposes.]

Twigg said:
Also you may want to explain why the temperature of X goes up.
Well, maybe due to the current that starts flowing though the resistor and it heats it up?

Twigg said:
The 0.50Ω\Omega resistor and the load X are connected in series when the switch is closed. Is there really 12V across the 0.50Ω\Omega resistor? Keep in mind that the battery puts out a maximum of 12V when it is not supplying a current and that the terminal voltage (which is measured after the 0.50Ω\Omega resistor, hint hint) drops to 10V when it is supplying the unknown current.
BvU said:
Starting with (b) is sensible thing to do. Your 24 A disregards the resistance X. You are supposed to compare the 12 V, 0 A case with the 10 V case when current flows. Where does the 2 V voltage drop occur ?
I don't quite understand how we can find current or the resistance of X.

So we have V = I R or E = I (r + R). In the first case: V =12 V, I = 0 A, r = 0.5 Ω, RX = X so we have 12 = 0 (0.5 + X). No idea how to apply this equation. The second one we have: 10 = I (0.5 + X). Two unknowns.

Would it be easier for you if you represented the http://www.designcabana.com/knowledge/electrical/basics/sources/ source as an ideal voltage source with an internal resistance in series ?

Likes moenste
That way it's easier to answer
BvU said:
Where does the 2 V voltage drop occur ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Would it be easier for you if you represented the http://www.designcabana.com/knowledge/electrical/basics/sources/ source as an ideal voltage source with an internal resistance in series ?
Like this?

edc1dffd223c.jpg

Yes. Better draw the 12 V as an ideal voltage source now (see link) and the 0.5 ##\Omega## closer to that voltage source. Note that the voltmeter measures the voltage over X, not over the X + 0.5 ##\Omega## (because that is still ... V )

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Yes. Better draw the 12 V as an ideal voltage source now (see link) and the 0.5 ##\Omega## closer to that voltage source. Note that the voltmeter measures the voltage over X, not over the X + 0.5 ##\Omega## (because that is still ... V )
Isn't it the ideal voltage source? The internal resistance is included in the battery.

db678d6d33f8.jpg

I thought the voltmeter measured voltage over 0.5 Ω and therefore it has 12 or 10 or 10.5 V since they are in parallel.

Read the link (at "To show non ideality of a voltage source, they add a series resistor to its output, ...") !

The voltmeter measures the voltage at the clamps of the non-ideal voltage source (= 12 V battery) so: what comes out of the dashed box. Namely the 12 V minus the voltage drop over Rs, the internal resistance.

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Read the link (at "To show non ideality of a voltage source, they add a series resistor to its output, ...") !

The voltmeter measures the voltage at the clamps of the non-ideal voltage source (= 12 V battery) so: what comes out of the dashed box. Namely the 12 V minus the voltage drop over Rs, the internal resistance.
I read it all. You say we have a non-ideal case. And you say we need to make it an ideal case.

Update:

BvU said:
Would it be easier for you if you represented the http://www.designcabana.com/knowledge/electrical/basics/sources/ source as an ideal voltage source
So we have a non-ideal source that needs to be presented as an ideal voltage source.

BvU said:
Better draw the 12 V as an ideal voltage source now
And again you state that we need to draw as an ideal voltage source.

As I understood, a non-ideal has PD + resistance, while an ideal has just PD:
fig4.gif

And this is why I combined to whole thing into one to make it an "ideal source".

Last edited:
No. We just replace the battery (which is non-ideal voltage source with internal resistance -- as given in your exercise)

upload_2016-10-3_13-50-44.png

by an ideal voltage source with an internal resistance Rs

upload_2016-10-3_13-51-4.png

Likes moenste
BvU said:
No. We just replace the battery (which is non-ideal voltage source with internal resistance -- as given in your exercise)

View attachment 106872

by an ideal voltage source with an internal resistance Rs

View attachment 106873
Hm, but this graph:
y.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.designcabana.com%2Fknowledge%2Felectrical%2Fbasics%2Fsources%2Ffig4.gif

Clearly states that a non-ideal voltage source has a VS and a RS of Vd. And an ideal one doesn't have RS. At least I understand this graph as everything that is inside the frame is the non-ideal voltage source.

Update:

Maybe like this?

34c97e4eed5a.jpg

But this is how I imagined the graph from the beginning. Though I don't see how it helps. Maybe Because the voltmeter shows 12 V in the beginning, we have the battery V + 0.5 Ohm resistor = 12 V? But that doesn't help much, since we already have 12 = 0 (0.5 + X) and 10 = I (0.5 + X) either zero or two unknowns.

Last edited:
What is the voltage drop over the ##0.5\ \Omega## when there is no current flowing ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
What is the voltage drop over the ##0.5\ \Omega## when there is no current flowing ?
We have VVoltmeter = 12 V and VSource + VResistor 0.5 Ω = 12 V (because it's parallel).

I RSource + I * 0.5 = 12.

Maybe when the voltage decreases to 10 V it's not the 0.5 Ω resistor that decreases (it's unknown proportion in the VSource + VResistor = 12 V stays the same) while it's the VSource that decreases by 2 V? So something like

(I RSource - 2) + I * 0.5 = 10.

Last edited:
moenste said:
We have VVoltmeter = 12 V and VSource + VResistor 0.5 Ω = 12 V (because it's parallel).

VSource = 12 V so VResistor 0.5 Ω must be 0 V !

moenste said:
I RSource + I * 0.5 = 12.

No. The ##0.5\ \Omega\ \ ## is the Rs

When there is no current flowing, the meter reads 12 V, just as much as the voltage source delivers: there is zero voltage drop over Rs
upload_2016-10-3_14-16-32.png

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Why? How I see it: we have a parallel voltmeter with V = 12 V. The voltmeter is parallel to the VSource AND the resistor 0.5 Ohm. Therefore the VSource and the 0.5 Ohm resistor have 12 V as their voltage due to the parallel circuit rule.

BvU said:
BvU said:
No. The 0.5 Ω 0.5\ \Omega\ \ is the Rs
V = 12 V
R = 0.5 Ohm
I = V / R = 12 / 0.5 = 24 A. Like the one I got in the very first post.

If we do 12 - 10 = 2 V. Then I = V / R = 2 / 0.5 = 4 A. Is this correct?

Last edited:
moenste said:
Why? How I see it: we have a parallel voltmeter with V = 12 V. The voltmeter is parallel to the VSource AND the resistor 0.5 Ohm. Therefore the VSource and the 0.5 Ohm resistor have 12 V as their voltage due to the parallel circuit rule.
I'm not familiar with the terminology 'parallel circuit rule', sorry. Both ends of the ##0.5\ \Omega## resistor are at +12 V. There is no voltage drop over the resistor, consistent with no current flowing.

moenste said:
V = 12 V
R = 0.5 Ohm
I = V / R = 12 / 0.5 = 24 V. Like the one I got in the very first post.
That would be the short-circuit current. Not 24 V, but 24 A. What you would get if the clamps of the battery were connected directly with one another (##X=0\ \Omega\ ##).

moenste said:
If we do 12 - 10 = 2 V. Then I = V / R = 2 / 0.5 = 4 A. Is this correct?
This is the next step: S is closed and the voltmeter reads 10 V.

So the left end of the ##0.5\ \Omega## sees 12 V and the right end 10 V. The voltage drop is 2 V indeed.

upload_2016-10-3_14-50-49.png

Likes moenste
BvU said:
I'm not familiar with the terminology 'parallel circuit rule', sorry.
There is the same potential difference across each line.

BvU said:
Both ends of the 0.5 Ω0.5\ \Omega resistor are at +12 V. There is no voltage drop over the resistor, consistent with no current flowing.
The resistor is in series with the power source. Therefore it has VSource + Vresistor = 12 V, because there is the same potential difference across each line.

moenste said:
Calculate: (i) the initial current when S is closed
We have r = 0.5 Ohm and Vvoltmeter = 12 V.

Since the voltmeter is connected to the battery we can ignore the RX resistor. Then because the voltmeter is connected to the batter in parallel, we know that the Vbattery = also 12 V. So we can calculate the initial current I = Vbattery / Rbattery = 12 / 0.5 = 24 A.

Last edited:
There is no current. Where would it go ?

And 12 V / 0.5 Ohm = 24 A, not 24 V !

Likes moenste
BvU said:
There is no current. Where would it go ?

And 12 V / 0.5 Ohm = 24 A, not 24 V !
So the answer is zero?

What question would that be 'the' answer to ? There is no current when S is open. That's how the voltmeter tells you what Vs is.

When S is closed, you do have a current, and the voltmeter reads less than Vs, namely Vo = 10 V in your exercise. What does that tell you about Vd ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
What question would that be 'the' answer to ? There is no current when S is open. That's how the voltmeter tells you what Vs is.

When S is closed, you do have a current, and the voltmeter reads less than Vs, namely Vo = 10 V in your exercise. What does that tell you about Vd ?
moenste said:
(b) Calculate: (i) the initial current when S is closed;
When S is closed the initial voltage of the voltmeter is 12 V and internal resistance is 0.50 Ω.

1. The voltmeter that has 12 V is parallel to the battery.
2. The battery has a voltage of 12 V as well. Because in parallel circuits voltage is equal across the lines.
3. I = V / R = 12 / 0.5 = 24 A.

moenste said:
When S is closed the initial voltage of the voltmeter is 12 V and internal resistance is 0.50 Ω.
Ah, I see the source of misunderstanding. The exercise composer is more to blame than you.
moenste said:
When S is closed, the voltmeter reading falls immediately from 12.0 V to 10.0 V.
By that he means that the voltmeter reads 10 V 'initially' for the answer to question (b).

(Relatively long) after that, the resistor heats up and the meter gradually goes to 10.5 V

moenste said:
1. The voltmeter that has 12 V is parallel to the battery.
It is, but it reads 10 V. And the battery consists of a series circuit of a 12 V voltage source and an internal resistance.
moenste said:
2. The battery has a voltage of 10 V as well
Yes (10 V) which consists of 12 Volt Vs minus a voltage drop over the internal resistance.
moenste said:
3. I = V / R = 12 / 0.5 = 24 A.
No. the 12 V is distributed over the series circuit consisting of Rs and X.
And we know the voltage over X (namely 10 V, given)

To relieve me of a worrying concern:
Is the relevant section of the link (at "To show non ideality of a voltage source, they add a series http://www.designcabana.com/knowledge/electrical/basics/resistors to its output, ...") completely clear to you ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
By that he means that the voltmeter reads 10 V 'initially' for the answer to question (b).

(Relatively long) after that, the resistor heats up and the meter gradually goes to 10.5 V
Hm, what you suggest I should read the problem this way: we have a battery of 12 V, after the circuit is turned on the voltmeter shows 10 V? So it's only the voltmeter that changes and the power source remains the same? And then we just calculate E = Ir + V → 12 = 0.5 I + 10 → 2 = 0.5 I → I = 4 A?

BvU said:
To relieve me of a worrying concern:
Is the relevant section of the link (at "To show non ideality of a voltage source, they add a series http://www.designcabana.com/knowledge/electrical/basics/resistors to its output, ...") completely clear to you ?
I was looking for the phrase, but the link was a different one from that on the first page.

OK we have:
To show non ideality of a voltage source, they add a series http://www.designcabana.com/knowledge/electrical/basics/resistors to its output, therefore with more current drawn out of the source, more voltage drops across the source resistor and decreases the output level of the source. Below a non-ideal voltage source is connected to a resistor.
fig4.gif
An IDEAL voltage source would be just VS. Just the circle with + and -.

In our case we have a NON-ideal voltage source and therefore everything INSIDE the dotted / striped area is regarded as the non-ideal voltage source: VS + Vd = VO.

For this problem:
To show non ideality of a voltage source, they add a series resistor (0.5 Ohm) to its output, therefore with more current drawn out of the source (12 V), more voltage drops across the source resistor and decreases the output level of the source (10 V).

This is how I understand this.

Sounds good to me -- provided you realize the source resistor is the series resistor is the internal resistor is the 0.5 Ω
And the 10 V is the output of the combination source & internal resistor

So how much current is needed to make this output level 10 V ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
Sounds good to me -- provided you realize the source resistor is the series resistor is the internal resistor is the 0.5 Ω
And the 10 V is the output of the combination source & internal resistor

So how much current is needed to make this output level 10 V ?
moenste said:
Hm, what you suggest I should read the problem this way: we have a battery of 12 V, after the circuit is turned on the voltmeter shows 10 V? So it's only the voltmeter that changes and the power source remains the same? And then we just calculate E = Ir + V → 12 = 0.5 I + 10 → 2 = 0.5 I → I = 4 A?
I think this should be it for (b) (i)?

(b) (ii) is clear to me.

However, how to find (b) (iii)? As I understand we'll need a new current? 10.5 = I (X + 0.5). Or like 12-10.5 = 0.4 X so X = 3.75 Ohm.

That's it for b(i).
b(ii) gives what resistance ?

In b(iii) you go off the rails, I'm afraid. The 10.5 V is over resistance X, NOT over the series circuit of X + 0.5 Ω !

moenste said:
Or like 12-10.5 = 0.4 X so X = 3.75 Ohm
Where on Earth would that 0.4 come from ?

BvU said:
b(ii) gives what resistance ?
moenste said:
(b) (ii) E = I (r + R) → 12 = 4 (from the answer) * (0.5 + R) → R = 2.5 Ω.

BvU said:
In b(iii) you go off the rails, I'm afraid. The 10.5 V is over resistance X, NOT over the series circuit of X + 0.5 Ω !
So the resistor X has a voltage of 10.5 V?

The source gives off 12 V, after the internal resistor there is 10.5 V left over. What does that mean for the voltage drop over that internal resistor ? So what is the current throught the series circiut of internal resistor and X ? THe voltage over X is given, so what is the resistance X ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
The source gives off 12 V, after the internal resistor there is 10.5 V left over. What does that mean for the voltage drop over that internal resistor ? So what is the current throught the series circiut of internal resistor and X ? THe voltage over X is given, so what is the resistance X ?
We have a voltage battery 12 V. We have a resistor -2 V. We have a voltmeter 10 V. We have a resistor X 0.5 V and current I = 0.4 A. So R = V / I = 0.5 / 0.4 = 1.25 Ohm.

BvU said:
12 - 10.5 = 0.5 I
I = 3 A new current in the parallel circuit?

moenste said:
We have a voltage battery 12 V. We have a resistor -2 V. We have a voltmeter 10 V. We have a resistor X 0.5 V and current I = 0.4 A. So R = V / I = 0.5 / 0.4 = 1.25 Ohm.
You confuse me. The X resistor sees 10 V. That's what the meter indicates. How can it possibly be 0.5 V !? Where does the 0.4 A come from ?

Likes moenste
BvU said:
You confuse me. The X resistor sees 10 V. That's what the meter indicates. How can it possibly be 0.5 V !? Where does the 0.4 A come from ?
So the VX = 10 V. And internal resistance of the battery is 0.5 Ohm. How do we find the RX?

(i) 12 - 10 = 0.5 I → I = 4 A.

(ii) 12 = 4 (0.5 + R) → R = 2.5 Ω

(iii) 10.5 = 4 (0.5 + R) → R = 2.1 Ω

or 12 - 10.5 = 0.5 I → I = 3 A
10.5 = 3 (0.5 + R) → R = 3 Ω

or 12 - 10.5 = 0.5 I → I = 3 A
12 = 3 (0.5 + R) → R = 3.5 Ω

Last edited: