1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current in superconductors when a voltage is applied.

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    Suppose you a have superconducting loop connected to a 9V battery. What is the current through it? With a resistance of 0Ω, [itex]V = IR[/itex] gives ∞. I don't think that can be right... If it were, [itex]V=\frac{I}{nAe}[/itex] would give an infinite velocity... Does that equation even apply to superconductors?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Current will be limited by the internal resistance of the battery. This happens for all batteries connected to low impedance loads.

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3
    So if we assume the internal resistance is 1.5Ω how do you calculate the current through the superconductor?

5. Feb 26, 2013 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I=V/R, just like always. In this case, 9A since a superconductor has 0 resistance.

6. Feb 27, 2013 #5
    Marcus
    There seems to be an arithmetical error here.

7. Feb 27, 2013 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

Superconductors can only carry currents lower than a critical current value. If the current rises above that limit, they become normal conducting.

8. Feb 27, 2013 #7

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quite so, I hit the wrong key on my Blackberry. 6A.

9. Feb 27, 2013 #8
    Thank you, very helpful.

10. Feb 27, 2013 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a "irresistible force and immovable object" type of question, if you don't allow something to be non-ideal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook