Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current increases rate of corrosion?

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    Hi,

This is my first post here, but I have searched this forum many times for insight.

See the attached image. https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52558&stc=1&d=1351879807 The red loop is a metalic wire. The wire is expected to corrode when it is submersed into the solution.

If I run a current through the wire will that increase, degrease or have no effect on the rate of corrosion? And to what degree?

Thank you in advance.

Phil

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2
    There are too many imponderbles here.

What sort of salt solution?
    Why would you expect the wire to corrode?
    What does this (corrosion) mean?

Corrosion will occur if (one of ) the metals in the wire will reat chemically with the salt solution, displacing cations and perhaps precipitating an insoluble metal compound.

It may also occure if the soltion contains entrained or dissolved air so corrosion cless can form along the wire.

Both of these processes are electrochemical so what do you think the effect of current (electrons) will be?

4. Nov 3, 2012 #3
    Steel wire, saline solution.

I would expect the wire to rust. I just don't know if running current through the wre would increase or decrease the rate of corrosion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook