1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current loop rotating to give magnetic moment

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform non-conducting ring of radius
    0.816 cm and total charge 6.76 µC rotates
    with a constant angular speed of 1.73 rad/s
    around an axis perpendicular to the plane of
    the ring that passes through its center.
    What is the magnitude of the magnetic
    moment of the rotating ring?

r = .00816 m
    q = 6.76E-6 C
    ω = 1.73 rad/s

2. Relevant equations
    μ = IA
    I = dq/dt
    A = [itex]\pi[/itex]r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the current and said it was equal to qω/2∏, since that gives charge/time. Then I multiplied by area. When that didn't work I decided to take the same approach but integrating from 0 to ∏/2 with r replaced with (rcosθ), to be the radius of any point on the loop, making a circle as a function of angle. Then I said charge was equal to λr dθ, since the charge is uniform. I took that function and integrated it: λω(r^2)/2∫(cosθ)^2 dθ, 0,∏/2. Then I multiplied by 4, for each of the quarters of the loop.
    The idea is that each infinitesimally small point on the loop has a charge and will behave like a charge orbiting and integrating over all of the possible radii gives the combined magnetic moment. However, this didn't work and I lost points. I don't understand why.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

qω/2∏ * area should be correct. Did you get 3.89 E-10 ?

4. Nov 7, 2012 #3
    I had almost that...but not quite within 1%. Which is what our online homework requires. So my approach was correct, just not some value.
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook