Current loop rotating to give magnetic moment

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of the magnetic moment of a rotating non-conducting ring with a radius of 0.816 cm and a total charge of 6.76 µC, rotating at a constant angular speed of 1.73 rad/s around an axis perpendicular to the plane of the ring. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation μ = IA, where I is the current equal to qω/2∏ and A is the area of the ring given by A = \pir^2. However, this approach did not yield the correct answer and further attempts were made using integration, but still with a slight deviation from the expected answer.
nautola

Homework Statement

A uniform non-conducting ring of radius
0.816 cm and total charge 6.76 µC rotates
with a constant angular speed of 1.73 rad/s
around an axis perpendicular to the plane of
the ring that passes through its center.
What is the magnitude of the magnetic
moment of the rotating ring?

r = .00816 m
q = 6.76E-6 C
ω = 1.73 rad/s

Homework Equations

μ = IA
I = dq/dt
A = [itex]\pi[/itex]r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the current and said it was equal to qω/2∏, since that gives charge/time. Then I multiplied by area. When that didn't work I decided to take the same approach but integrating from 0 to ∏/2 with r replaced with (rcosθ), to be the radius of any point on the loop, making a circle as a function of angle. Then I said charge was equal to λr dθ, since the charge is uniform. I took that function and integrated it: λω(r^2)/2∫(cosθ)^2 dθ, 0,∏/2. Then I multiplied by 4, for each of the quarters of the loop.
The idea is that each infinitesimally small point on the loop has a charge and will behave like a charge orbiting and integrating over all of the possible radii gives the combined magnetic moment. However, this didn't work and I lost points. I don't understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
qω/2∏ * area should be correct. Did you get 3.89 E-10 ?

I had almost that...but not quite within 1%. Which is what our online homework requires. So my approach was correct, just not some value.
Thanks.

1. What is a current loop rotating to give magnetic moment?

A current loop rotating to give magnetic moment is a phenomenon in which a loop of electric current generates a magnetic field as it rotates. This magnetic field can be used to measure the strength of the current and can also be used to create devices such as electric motors and generators.

2. How does a current loop rotating to give magnetic moment work?

When an electric current flows through a loop of wire, it creates a magnetic field around the loop. As the loop rotates, the magnetic field also rotates, resulting in a changing magnetic flux. This changing magnetic flux induces an electric current in the loop, creating a magnetic moment.

3. What factors affect the strength of a current loop's magnetic moment?

The strength of a current loop's magnetic moment is affected by the strength of the electric current, the size and shape of the loop, and the speed of rotation. The direction of the current also plays a role in determining the direction of the magnetic moment.

4. How is a current loop's magnetic moment measured?

A current loop's magnetic moment can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects and measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The magnetic moment can also be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the factors that affect its strength.

5. What are some practical applications of a current loop's magnetic moment?

The magnetic moment generated by a current loop has many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to create detailed images of the body's internal structures. Additionally, the measurement of magnetic moments is used in scientific research and engineering to study and manipulate magnetic fields.