1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current through the circuit with resistor and light bulb

1. Aug 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem is give in the image

2. Relevant equations

V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution

Since its a series circuit i tried that current should be the same so it's 9/20 since there is no resistance in the bulb which is 0.45 Ω somehow the answer is 0.3Ω. why is that the case? should be something to do with the graph but i have no idea what to do with it

Attached Files:

• ss.JPG
      ss.JPG
      File size:
      33.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2012 #2
    In the image you've provided, it's difficult to tell what's being asked. I assume that you're supposed to finish the sentence: The current in the circuit is ______. Is that correct?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  4. Aug 22, 2012 #3

lewando

Gold Member

The resistance in the lamp is not zero. It is variable--described by the curved dashed line. The answer has units of "A", not "Ω". Try an iterative graphical approach--pick some starting value for the lamp resistance, say 20Ω, find the resulting current then use that current to determine a better value for lamp resistance. Repeat process until your lamp resistance converges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook