Current - two parallel conductors

In summary, the two long parallel wires are separated by 4.0mm and the current in one wire is twice the other current. The force on a 2.0m length of one wire is equal to 7.0μN. To find the greater of the two currents, you can use the formula F(b)=μ*I(1)*I(2)*l/2∏a and solve for I(1) or I(2).
hawkbyte

Homework Statement

Two long parallel wires are separated by 4.0mm. The current in one of the wires is twice the other current. If the magnitude if the force on a 2.0m length of one of the wires is equal to 7.0μN, what is the greater of the two currents?

Homework Equations

F(b)=μ*I(1)*I(2)*l/2∏a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm afraid I oversimplified my approach to this problem. I plugged the known values into the equation above and solved for I. I was then going to multiply that value by two. I am certain that is wrong, and that I am missing an important concept with regards to the problem. A shove in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are going correct. I just can't recall the formula for the force, so I will assume the one you posted is correct.

Dear student,

Your approach to the problem is correct, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

First, the equation you have used is the formula for the force between two parallel conductors, where μ is the permeability of free space, I(1) and I(2) are the currents in the two conductors, l is the length of the conductor, and a is the distance between the two conductors. This means that the force you have calculated is the force between the two wires, not on a specific wire.

Second, the force between two parallel conductors is attractive, which means that the two currents are flowing in the same direction. If one of the currents is twice the other, then the greater current must be the one in the wire that experiences the force.

With these points in mind, you can use the equation to solve for the greater current. Substitute the known values into the equation and solve for I(1). Then, since I(1) is twice I(2), you can multiply the value of I(1) by 2 to find the greater current.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Best,

What is the concept of current in two parallel conductors?

The concept of current in two parallel conductors refers to the flow of electric charge through two parallel wires. The current is the rate at which the charge flows through the wires, and it is measured in units of amperes (A).

What is the relationship between current and voltage in two parallel conductors?

In two parallel conductors, the current flowing through the wires is directly proportional to the voltage difference between the two wires. This relationship is known as Ohm's Law and is expressed as I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance of the wires.

How does the distance between two parallel conductors affect the current flow?

The distance between two parallel conductors has a direct impact on the current flow. As the distance between the wires decreases, the current increases. This is because the closer the wires are, the lower the resistance between them, allowing more current to flow through.

What factors can affect the current flow in two parallel conductors?

The current flow in two parallel conductors can be affected by various factors, including the voltage applied, the resistance of the wires, the distance between the wires, and the material of the wires. Temperature can also affect the current flow, as higher temperatures can increase the resistance of the wires, reducing the current.

How is current measured in two parallel conductors?

The current in two parallel conductors can be measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series with the wires. The ammeter measures the flow of electric charge in the circuit and gives a reading in amperes (A).