1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvature of an orthogonal projection

1. Oct 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]\vec{X(t)}[/itex]: I [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ℝ3 be a parametrized curve, and let I [itex]\ni[/itex] t be a fixed point where k(t) [itex]\neq[/itex] 0. Define π: ℝ3 [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ℝ3 as the orthogonal projection of ℝ3 onto the osculating plane to [itex]\vec{X(t)}[/itex] at t. Define γ=π[itex]\circ[/itex][itex]\vec{X(t)}[/itex] as the orthogonal projection of the space curve [itex]\vec{X(t)}[/itex] onto the opsculating plane. Prove that the curvature k(t) is equal to the curvature of the plane curve [itex]\vec{γ}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

k=[itex]\frac{\left\|\vec{X'(t)}\times\vec{X''(t)}\right\|}{\left\|\vec{X'(t)}\right\|^{3}}[/itex] = Curvature

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know how to formulate the equation for the orthogonal projection of X onto the osculating plane, so I can't even begin to understand how to solve the problem in question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If v and B are vectors, the projection of v in the direction of B can be obtained by subtracting out the component of v in the B direction: v - (B.v)B/(B.B).
    The tangent vector to the curve should be something like T = X'(t), and the normal N is like T'. The normal to the osculating plane is then B = TxN.
    Does that help?

4. Oct 26, 2012 #3
    T, N and B form an orthonormal base of R^3 as well... but beyond that is it possible that the curvature of a curve may not be the same as that of its orthogonal projection for all s?

5. Oct 26, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That the curvature is the same in the projection is intuitively obvious, but proving it is the hard part. The use of variables in the question is a bit confusing, using t for a variable and t for a particular value of it, so I'm going to use s for the variable.
    Based on what I wrote before, define Y(s) as the projection of X(s). That gives you an equation for Y(s) in terms of X(s) and B, where B is defined in terms of X and its derivatives at the point s = t. You should then be able to write down an expression for the curvature of Y at t. With luck, you can reduce it to k(t).

6. Oct 26, 2012 #5
    I realized that the question was perhaps improperly formulated and it should have said that the curvature of the curve C is the same as the curvature of its orthogonal projection at s0 (and not for all s)

7. Oct 26, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's how I interpreted it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook