1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of planes, curvature and osculating plane

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The equations sin(xyz) = 0 and x + xy + z^3 = 0 define planes in R^3. Find the osculating plane and the curvature of the intersection of the curves at (1, 0, -1)

2. Relevant equations
    Osculating plane of a curve = {f + s*f' + t*f'' : s, r are reals}
    Curvature = ||T'|| where T is the unit tangent vector

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guess my biggest doubt here is determining the position vector I want to be working with. Since we're looking at the point (1, 0, -1), then sin(zyx) = 0 implies that y=0. (I got this hint but I don't really understand it). So now we got the intersection x + z^3 = 0, and if we parametrize x(t) = t^3, z(t) = -t and y(t) = 0 then we get r(t) = t^3 * i - t * k where (i, j, k) is the standard basis for R^3. Now we differentiate and take lengths in turns of r to get the vectors we want to work with to get the curvature and osculating plane. Is this the correct method?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume you mean "intersection of the planes at (1, 0, -1)"

That was given as a "hint"? It isn't true. At (1, 0, -1), yes y= 0 at that point. It does not follow that y= 0 at any other point on the curve of intersection.
    From x+ xy+ z^3= 0, [itex]z= -x^{1/3}(1+ y)^{1/3}[/itex] so the second equation , sin(xyz)= 0, becomes [itex]sin(x^{4/3}y(1+ y)^{1/3})= 0[/itex]. Differentiate with respect to x and y.

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    The hint wasn't from an instructor but an older student, seems it was incorrect.
    If we differentiate with respect to x we get

d/(dx) sin(x^4/(3 y) (1+y)×1/3) = (4 x^3 (y+1) cos((x^4 (y+1))/(9 y)))/(9 y) = 0.

and if we differentiate with respect to y we get

d/(dy) sin(x^4/(3 y) (1+y)×1/3) = -(x^4 cos((x^4 (y+1))/(9 y)))/(9 y^2) = 0

I've only looked at examples where we work with position vectors of the form r(t) = x(t) * i + y(t) * j + z(t) * k, so I don't know what to do with the partial derivatives!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook