Intersection of planes, curvature and osculating plane

In summary, the student attempted to find the curvature and osculating plane for the curve of intersection at (1, 0, -1), but did not seem to understand how to do so.
trickycheese1

Homework Statement

The equations sin(xyz) = 0 and x + xy + z^3 = 0 define planes in R^3. Find the osculating plane and the curvature of the intersection of the curves at (1, 0, -1)

Homework Equations

Osculating plane of a curve = {f + s*f' + t*f'' : s, r are reals}
Curvature = ||T'|| where T is the unit tangent vector

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess my biggest doubt here is determining the position vector I want to be working with. Since we're looking at the point (1, 0, -1), then sin(zyx) = 0 implies that y=0. (I got this hint but I don't really understand it). So now we got the intersection x + z^3 = 0, and if we parametrize x(t) = t^3, z(t) = -t and y(t) = 0 then we get r(t) = t^3 * i - t * k where (i, j, k) is the standard basis for R^3. Now we differentiate and take lengths in turns of r to get the vectors we want to work with to get the curvature and osculating plane. Is this the correct method?

Physics news on Phys.org
trickycheese1 said:

Homework Statement

The equations sin(xyz) = 0 and x + xy + z^3 = 0 define planes in R^3. Find the osculating plane and the curvature of the intersection of the curves at (1, 0, -1)
I assume you mean "intersection of the planes at (1, 0, -1)"

Homework Equations

Osculating plane of a curve = {f + s*f' + t*f'' : s, r are reals}
Curvature = ||T'|| where T is the unit tangent vector

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess my biggest doubt here is determining the position vector I want to be working with. Since we're looking at the point (1, 0, -1), then sin(zyx) = 0 implies that y=0. (I got this hint but I don't really understand it).
That was given as a "hint"? It isn't true. At (1, 0, -1), yes y= 0 at that point. It does not follow that y= 0 at any other point on the curve of intersection.
From x+ xy+ z^3= 0, [itex]z= -x^{1/3}(1+ y)^{1/3}[/itex] so the second equation , sin(xyz)= 0, becomes [itex]sin(x^{4/3}y(1+ y)^{1/3})= 0[/itex]. Differentiate with respect to x and y.

So now we got the intersection x + z^3 = 0, and if we parametrize x(t) = t^3, z(t) = -t and y(t) = 0 then we get r(t) = t^3 * i - t * k where (i, j, k) is the standard basis for R^3. Now we differentiate and take lengths in turns of r to get the vectors we want to work with to get the curvature and osculating plane. Is this the correct method?

The hint wasn't from an instructor but an older student, seems it was incorrect.
If we differentiate with respect to x we get

d/(dx) sin(x^4/(3 y) (1+y)×1/3) = (4 x^3 (y+1) cos((x^4 (y+1))/(9 y)))/(9 y) = 0.

and if we differentiate with respect to y we get

d/(dy) sin(x^4/(3 y) (1+y)×1/3) = -(x^4 cos((x^4 (y+1))/(9 y)))/(9 y^2) = 0

I've only looked at examples where we work with position vectors of the form r(t) = x(t) * i + y(t) * j + z(t) * k, so I don't know what to do with the partial derivatives!

1. What is the intersection of planes?

The intersection of planes refers to the point or line where two or more planes intersect. It is the common point at which the planes meet.

2. What is curvature?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line. It is the rate at which the direction of a curve changes.

3. How are planes and curvature related?

Planes and curvature are related in terms of the osculating plane. The osculating plane is the unique plane that best approximates the curvature of a given curve at a specific point.

4. What is the significance of the osculating plane?

The osculating plane is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It helps us to determine the direction of the curve and how much it deviates from a straight line at that point.

5. How is the osculating plane calculated?

The osculating plane is calculated by finding the tangent line to a curve at a specific point, and then finding the normal line to that tangent line at the same point. The osculating plane is the plane that contains both the tangent line and the normal line at that point.