Curve of intersection of a plane and function

In summary: You need to figure out what the original function is, and then you can use the equations to find z. From what you've said, z is the derivative of f(x, y).
MechanicalBrank

Homework Statement

f(x,y) = x^2 + xy + y^2 and z=2x+y intersect, find a parameterization of the curve where they intersect.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lost. I know that z is the partial derivative of the original function, if that's of any use. I can visualize it but not quite sure how to begin calculating.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MechanicalBrank said:

Homework Statement

f(x,y) = x^2 + xy + y^2 and z=2x+y intersect, find a parameterization of the curve where they intersect.

Homework Equations

I am lost. I know that z is the partial derivative of the original function, if that's of any use.
It would help to know what is the original function, as well as the actual problem you're working on. From the equations above, f(x, y) is a z value, so you could equate x2 + xy + y2 with 2x + y. I'm not sure this leads to anything informative, so I'm wondering if you made a mistake somewhere.
MechanicalBrank said:
I can visualize it but not quite sure how to begin calculating.

MechanicalBrank said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I am lost. I know that z is the partial derivative of the original function, if that's of any use. I can visualize it but not quite sure how to begin calculating.

You seem to know something that is wrong: z is NOT the partial derivative of the original function (whatever that function is, since you do not say).

MechanicalBrank said:
not quite sure how to begin calculating.

A brute force approach is to let the parameter be [itex] t [/itex]. Set [itex] x = t [/itex]. Substitute for [itex] t [/itex] for [itex] x [/itex] in the equation [itex] x^2 + xy + y^2 = 2x + y [/itex]. Solve for [itex] y [/itex] in terms of [itex] t [/itex].

There might be a clever way. Solving a quadratic equation for y whose coefficients are expressions in t isn't very elegant.

Consider the surface [itex] z = x^2 + xy + y^2 - (2x + y) [/itex]. The requested intersection is a level curve of this surface for [itex] z = 0 [/itex]. Do you know any slick ways to parameterize the level curves of a surface? ( I haven't solved the problem myself, so I'm just speculating.) The value of the directional derivative of the surface along tangents to the level curve should be zero. Perhaps that's a useful fact.

Let f(x,y)=x^2 + xy + y^2 for all x in R2.
Find a parameterization of the curve given by the intersection of f(x,y) and the plane z=2x+y. That's the problem exactly as on paper.

MechanicalBrank said:
Let f(x,y)=x^2 + xy + y^2 for all x in R2.
Find a parameterization of the curve given by the intersection of f(x,y) and the plane z=2x+y. That's the problem exactly as on paper.

It should have said "find a parametrization of the curve of intersection of the two surfaces ##z = f(x,y) ## and ##z = 2x + y##."

I think I solved it.

In case anyone is still interested, I think the "natural" way to parameterize that intersection is to take the equation$$
x^2+xy + y^2 - 2x -y = 0$$which is the projection of the intersection curve in the xy plane. Rotate and translate that to get its center and the standard form of the equation of the ellipse$$\frac {(x-x_0)^2}{a^2} + \frac {(y-y_0)^2}{b^2} = 1$$. Then let $$
x =x_0+a\cos t,~~y = y_0 + b\sin t, z = 2x+y$$With a bit of help from Maple you get$$
\vec r(t) = \langle 1 +\frac 1 {\sqrt 3} \cos t -\sin t,\frac 1 {\sqrt 3} \cos t +\sin t,2 + \sqrt 3\cos t -\sin t\rangle$$
Here's a picture:

ellipse.jpg

Likes MechanicalBrank
MechanicalBrank said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I presume you mean the intersection or z= x^2+ xy+ y^2 and z= 2x+ y. That intersection is given by x^2+ xy+ y^2- 2x- y= 0. It is possible, by rotating the axes, to remove the "xy" term getting an equation of an ellipse or other conic section for which it is easy to find parameters. Then use z= 2x+ y to get a parametric equation for z.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Likes MechanicalBrank

1. What is the "Curve of intersection of a plane and function"?

The curve of intersection of a plane and function is the set of points where the plane and the function intersect in space. It is a 2-dimensional curve that can be represented graphically or algebraically.

2. How is the curve of intersection of a plane and function calculated?

The curve of intersection of a plane and function can be calculated by setting the equation of the plane equal to the equation of the function and solving for the variables. The resulting solution will be the set of points that make up the curve of intersection.

3. Can the curve of intersection of a plane and function have multiple solutions?

Yes, the curve of intersection of a plane and function can have multiple solutions, especially if the plane and the function are not parallel. This results in multiple points where the two intersect in space, forming a curve.

4. What information can be determined from the curve of intersection of a plane and function?

The curve of intersection of a plane and function can provide information about the relationship between the two objects. It can also be used to find the point of intersection, which can be useful in solving various mathematical problems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the curve of intersection of a plane and function?

Yes, the curve of intersection of a plane and function has various real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to model and solve problems related to the intersection of surfaces or objects in space.