Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curved sketching strange things happen

1. May 8, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I was told to sketch this graph:

[tex]y=\frac{x-1}{x^2-100}[/tex]

when x=0,y=.01

[tex]y=\frac{\frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{x^2}}{1-\frac{100}{x^2}}[/tex]

as [itex]x \rightarrow \infty;y \rightarrow 0 \Rightarrow[/itex] y=0 (i.e. x axis is a horizontal asymptote to the curve)

BUT

when y=0; x-1=0 so that x=1. So a point on the curve is (1,0)

How can the x-axis be a horizontal asymptote to the curve yet the curve passes through (1,0)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2
    What do you mean, how can it? It just is.

The x-axis is an asymptote for [tex]sin(x)/x[/tex], and this is equal to zero an infinite number of times.

4. May 8, 2008 #3

Vid

There's a vertical asymptote at x=10. For x > 10, the x axis is a horizontal asymptote.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  5. May 8, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

(fixed)

OH...that clears it right up for me! Thank you. I was under the impression that the x-axis would be a horizontal asymptote for the entire graph no matter what.

6. May 8, 2008 #5
    It is a horizontal asymptote for the entire graph. The notion of horizontal asymptote just means what the function f(x) approaches something as x approaches positive or negative infinity. It has nothing to do with f(1), and as you have found, it is quite possible to cross over an asymptote. See uman's post for a good example of a such a function.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?