1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curves on surfaces (differential geometry)

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    A few topics we are covering in class are: Gauss map, Gauss curvature, normal curvature, shape operator, principal curvature. I am having difficulty understanding the concepts of curves on surfaces. For example, this problem:

Define the map ##\pi : (\mathbb{R}^3-\{(0,0,0)\})\to S^2## by ##\pi(p)=\frac{p}{||p||}.## Show that if ##\Sigma_R## is the sphere of radius ##R>0##, then the Gauss map of ##\Sigma_R## is ##\pi|_{\Sigma_R}## (which means the map ##\pi## restricted to the surface ##\Sigma_R##.) Compute the shape operator and the Gauss curvature of the sphere.

I don't even know where to start?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2013 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

It helps if you write down definitions, what is the Gauss map in question? Can you compute it?

4. Oct 13, 2013 #3
    I know the Gauss maps a surface in ##\mathbb{R}^3## to the sphere ##S^2,## so ##\pi(p)## is a unit vector for all ##p\in \sum## such that ##\pi(p)## is orthogonal to the surface ##\mathbb{R}^3## at ##p##. Also, we defined the Gauss curvature as: ## K(p) = \kappa_1 \kappa_2 .##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted