1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvilinear motion of force-couple system

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    I have a system of forces which I have reduced to a force-couple system. I am trying to predict the motion of the force and couple. This is hard because the force changes direction as the moment turns the particle. I imagine this should be turned into some sort of tangential-normal components. But which force causes tangential acceleration, and which force causes normal aceleration. The force or the moment?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

tech99

Gold Member

Can you send a diagram?

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3
    In the attached photo A, L, D and Phi are constants. There is a torque and a force applied to this box, or whatever it is. In front of the box is what I imagine the motion caused by the force and the torque will make the box go in.

Attached Files:

5. Mar 17, 2015 #4

tech99

Gold Member

I think the question is probably one where the box has both rotational acceleration and translational acceleration. I am not sure you have analysed the problem correctly. A torque should be two balanced forces with a spacing between their lines of action. You seem to be giving the box an upward acceleration but I cannot see a force doing that.

6. Mar 17, 2015 #5
    The picture is a top view, not a side view. The picture is displayed in the X-Y plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook