Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curvilinear motion of force-couple system

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    I have a system of forces which I have reduced to a force-couple system. I am trying to predict the motion of the force and couple. This is hard because the force changes direction as the moment turns the particle. I imagine this should be turned into some sort of tangential-normal components. But which force causes tangential acceleration, and which force causes normal aceleration. The force or the moment?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

tech99

Gold Member

Can you send a diagram?

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3
    In the attached photo A, L, D and Phi are constants. There is a torque and a force applied to this box, or whatever it is. In front of the box is what I imagine the motion caused by the force and the torque will make the box go in.

Attached Files:

5. Mar 17, 2015 #4

tech99

Gold Member

I think the question is probably one where the box has both rotational acceleration and translational acceleration. I am not sure you have analysed the problem correctly. A torque should be two balanced forces with a spacing between their lines of action. You seem to be giving the box an upward acceleration but I cannot see a force doing that.

6. Mar 17, 2015 #5
    The picture is a top view, not a side view. The picture is displayed in the X-Y plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook