Cushion seat angle : Radius of curvature

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
cmcd
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
The problem is stated in the attachment.

I would include my attempt at the question if I got anywhere.
I'm really only looking for a hint as to how I set up the solution.

PS, I understand how to work out the angle if the car wasn't moving.

Thanks




Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
cmcd said:
The problem is stated in the attachment.

I would include my attempt at the question if I got anywhere.
I'm really only looking for a hint as to how I set up the solution.

PS, I understand how to work out the angle if the car wasn't moving.

Thanks




Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


Start with a free body diagram (FBD).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Is the radius of curvature and the speed of the car of any relevance?
 
At first glance, I don't think so. Your FBD will include forces, which will sum and be related to the acceleration...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
So I don't think I did it correct. I got an answer of 10.873°.

I started off with the forces on the box being mgsinθ parallel down the plain and mgcosθ perpendicular into the plain.

I broke up m x 4 (... mass x acceleration) into two components, 4mcosθ acting parallel to and up the plain, and 4msinθ acting into the plain.

Angle for slip...

mgsinθ + (mgcosθ + masinθ) x μ = macosθ

(g+μa)sinθ = (a - μg)cosθ

θ = ArcTan [(a-μg)/(g+μa)]

θ = 10.87°
 
cmcd said:
So I don't think I did it correct. I got an answer of 10.873°.

I started off with the forces on the box being mgsinθ parallel down the plain and mgcosθ perpendicular into the plain.

I broke up m x 4 (... mass x acceleration) into two components, 4mcosθ acting parallel to and up the plain, and 4msinθ acting into the plain.

Angle for slip...

mgsinθ + (mgcosθ + masinθ) x μ = macosθ

(g+μa)sinθ = (a - μg)cosθ

θ = ArcTan [(a-μg)/(g+μa)]

θ = 10.87°

Could you attach your FBD? That would be a help in figuring this out...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/cmcdona22/library/?sort=3&page=1

Thanks
 
cmcd said:
Is the radius of curvature and the speed of the car of any relevance?

berkeman said:
At first glance, I don't think so. Your FBD will include forces, which will sum and be related to the acceleration...

Sorry, maybe I confused you with my reply. The motion of the car on the curved surface adds an additional acceleration beyond just gravity. That term should also be added in.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
cmcd said:
Is that an additional tangential and normal acceleration?

The braking force would be tangential and the centripetal force would be normal, right?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Hey Berkeman, does this look okay to you?
I followed it through and I got an answer of 3.8° which is isn't right, but I think the FBD looks okay.
Thanks,
cmcd
 
Attachments
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 464