Power Electronics Rectifier Firing Angle and Overlap Angle

In summary, the current is always continous, so overlap is always there. The firing angle is increased from 0 to 45, so the overlap angle will reduce. Based on the document linked, the answer is C.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-30_11-53-18.png

Homework Equations

Since question says the current is always continous, so overlap is always there. So option B is incorrect.
Also since firing angle is increased from 0 to 45, the overlap angle will reduce. So it'll be less than 45. So option A is incorrect.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to eliminate either C or D.
Book says answer is C.
But how?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-30_11-53-18.png
    upload_2017-12-30_11-53-18.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 2,320
Physics news on Phys.org
I have not been studying this, but I believe I know how to solve it based on this document: https://subjects.ee.unsw.edu.au/elec4614/Lecture%2010%20-%20Overlap%20in%201-phase%20circuits.pdf

See page 4, equation 10.3:

[itex]\cos(\alpha+\mu) = \cos \alpha - \underbrace{\frac{\omega L_s}{V_{max}}I_d}_{\text{constant}} \tag {10.3} [/itex]
We want to find the overlap angle [itex]\mu[/itex].
First we calculate the constant in the equation above, using [itex]\mu = 45^{\circ}[/itex] and [itex]\alpha = 0^{\circ}[/itex].
When we have obtained the value of the constant term, we use the same equation and solve for [itex]\mu[/itex] with [itex]\alpha = 45^{\circ}[/itex]
In my case this gave me [itex]\mu = 20.53^{\circ}[/itex].

As I said I have not been studying this, so it would be nice if someone could verify this.

Also, I would recommend you to understand how equation 10.3 is derived and not only insert numbers and use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jaus tail
How do I remember all these formula for the exam? There single phase, three phase, half wave, full wave, semi converter and full converter. Then there's same single and three phase for inverters.

You should try to understand how the expressions are derived and be able to derive them yourself. By drawing figures (circuit, waveforms etc.) relevant for your problem you should be able to derive expressions using basic tools such as Ohm's law etc.

During my first years at university I just tried to memorize the equations for the exams, but you do not really learn anything doing it that way, atleast I dont.
Later, when I realized I had to understand how the equations etc. are derived from the basics we already know (basic physics, math, electrical circuits etc.) things went so much better...

Likes jaus tail
Thanks. Am practicing derivations now.

1. What is the purpose of a rectifier firing angle in power electronics?

The rectifier firing angle is used to control the output voltage and power of a rectifier circuit. By changing the firing angle, the amount of time that the rectifier conducts current can be adjusted, resulting in a variable output voltage.

2. How does the rectifier firing angle affect the efficiency of a circuit?

The rectifier firing angle can greatly impact the efficiency of a circuit. A lower firing angle means the rectifier conducts for a longer period of time, resulting in higher power losses and reduced efficiency. On the other hand, a higher firing angle can improve efficiency but may also lead to more distortion in the output waveform.

3. What is the difference between the rectifier firing angle and the overlap angle?

The rectifier firing angle is the delay between the zero-crossing of the input voltage and the start of conduction, while the overlap angle is the amount of time that both the upper and lower switches are conducting simultaneously. The overlap angle helps to reduce the output voltage ripple and improve the quality of the output waveform.

4. How do you calculate the optimum firing angle for a rectifier circuit?

The optimum firing angle can be calculated using mathematical equations and simulation software. Generally, it is chosen to minimize power losses and achieve the desired output voltage and power. The specific calculations will depend on the type of rectifier circuit and the desired performance.

5. What are the main challenges in controlling the rectifier firing angle and overlap angle?

One of the main challenges is ensuring accurate and precise control of the firing angle, as small changes can greatly impact the output voltage and power. Another challenge is finding the optimal balance between the firing angle and overlap angle to achieve both efficiency and waveform quality. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and load variations can also affect the performance of the circuit.