Custom Multi Light Switch with Dimmer

• Electronics
  • Thread starter Element13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Switch
In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a way to control and dim multiple light fixtures in their backyard deck. They mention finding a custom toggle switch online, but it is too expensive. They then discuss using a 6-gang electrical box with toggle or paddle switches, along with a separate dimmer switch. They also mention the possibility of using a home automation system and ask for suggestions. The conversation ends with the person mentioning their lack of knowledge in this area and asking for further advice.
Element13
TL;DR Summary
Custom Multi Light Switch with Dimmer
My Next DIY,

So, I'm guessing something like this may already exists (see image) light bulbs added for clarification purposes only.
Anyone know if there's something like this already on the market?
6-gang-paddle-light-switch-with-dimmer.jpg

So, I did a google search for custom toggle switches but most if not all were for Marine or Auto applications.
toggle-switch.jpg

They want $300 for this one
wall-switch.jpg

and this one doesn't quite do it either, but it was around $30

I then did a search for designer wall switches and Paddle Switches came up.
paddle-switch.jpg

around $10 to $12

This 3-gang paddle switch has potential so I figured if I couldn't find what I was originally looking for I'll use them and add a dimmer switch.

That said, I may need help adding the dimmer to control all the lights, we'll see.

Peace,
Element13

Physics news on Phys.org
Element13 said:
So, I'm guessing something like this may already exists (see image) light bulbs added for clarification purposes only.
Anyone know if there's something like this already on the market?
Can you describe in more detail what you are wanting to make? Do you want a central control panel that let's you control and dim multiple light fixtures? That would fall under Home Automation Systems, and there are a number of good candidates.

If you can give more details, I can probably suggest some good potential systems to use.

(Full disclosure, my company makes the technology behind several Home Automation Systems, but I can recommend alternatives as well)

• Love
Likes dlgoff and DaveE
Here's some ideas.

Search Amazon for 6-gang electrical box. Here's one hit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H8NV7ZO/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Then search Amazon for 6-gang electrical box switch plate. Here's one (randomly picked) hit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009KIMYM/?tag=pfamazon01-20. The covers are available for both toggle and paddle switches.

Use six standard toggle or paddle switches. The dimmer, which has a switch built in, would be in a separate 1-gang box. The wiring would be power to dimmer/master switch to all six individual switches to the six circuits.

Wander around the electrical section of a large hardware store, ask an electrician for ideas, look at manufacturers web sites until you find something.

I seem to recall seeing metal electrical boxes that could be disassembled and reassembled into as many gangs as desired. If those are still available, assemble a 7-gang box and put the dimmer next to the switches. You might be able to find a dimmer that fits the same switch plate as paddle switches. If not, you might be able to modify an existing switch plate. I did not look if 7-gang boxes and switch plates are available, that's an exercise for you.

Likes Element13
berkeman said:
Can you describe in more detail what you are wanting to make? Do you want a central control panel that let's you control and dim multiple light fixtures? That would fall under Home Automation Systems, and there are a number of good candidates.

If you can give more details, I can probably suggest some good potential systems to use.

(Full disclosure, my company makes the technology behind several Home Automation Systems, but I can recommend alternatives as well)
...Do you want a central control panel that let's you control and dim multiple light fixtures? That would fall under Home Automation Systems, and there are a number of good candidates...
Yeah, I think this is what I'm looking for. Home Automation Systems, who knew.
Again, I learned something new; that may sound ridiculous but it's true. That's the thing I mentioned about not knowing what to call something...

I want to be able to target a section of our backyard deck or light-up the whole thing. The idea is to be able to control each group of lights individually (one set, three sets, all six sets, whatever) and then be able to dim them all with one dimmer.

So please, suggest away.Peace,
Element13

jrmichler said:
Here's some ideas.

Search Amazon for 6-gang electrical box. Here's one hit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H8NV7ZO/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Then search Amazon for 6-gang electrical box switch plate. Here's one (randomly picked) hit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009KIMYM/?tag=pfamazon01-20. The covers are available for both toggle and paddle switches.

Use six standard toggle or paddle switches. The dimmer, which has a switch built in, would be in a separate 1-gang box. The wiring would be power to dimmer/master switch to all six individual switches to the six circuits.

Wander around the electrical section of a large hardware store, ask an electrician for ideas, look at manufacturers web sites until you find something.

I seem to recall seeing metal electrical boxes that could be disassembled and reassembled into as many gangs as desired. If those are still available, assemble a 7-gang box and put the dimmer next to the switches. You might be able to find a dimmer that fits the same switch plate as paddle switches. If not, you might be able to modify an existing switch plate. I did not look if 7-gang boxes and switch plates are available, that's an exercise for you.
Yes, thank you. I saw these but I wanted something smaller and then I saw the 3-gang paddle set-up. I also saw a set of plastic gang boxes that can be snapped together to build multiple sections; I think each was capable of holding a standard 15A Switch or Outlet, but they were out of stock or sold out.Peace,
Element13

As this project grows, consider making those switches 3-way switches with center Off.

That way you can select each one for On-Off-Dim.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Element13
Tom.G said:
As this project grows, consider making those switches 3-way switches with center Off.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom.G,

Thank for chiming in.

When you say 3-way switches are you talking about having the ability to turn the lights on and off at a second location, or are you referring to a switch that has three positions?

Just to clarify what I'm understanding:
Are you suggesting a 3-way switch that would give me the choice of having the lights not dimmed if I so chose to? In other words, in position 1 lights are dimmable, in position 2 lights are off, and in position 3 lights stay on, at full, even if I use the dimmer?Peace,
Element13

Element13 said:
In other words, in position 1 lights are dimmable, in position 2 lights are off, and in position 3 lights stay on, at full, even if I use the dimmer?
Yes, that's why he said
Tom.G said:

Likes dlgoff
Yep, just noticed that part, my bad.

Thanks for the "pay attention to what you're reading dumb-a__" heads up, phinds.

And thank you for the information Tom.G, much appreciated and certainly well worth looking into.Peace,
Element13

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, Tom.G and phinds
Element13 said:
Thanks for the "pay attention to what you're reading dumb-a__" heads up, phinds.
No, he's said that to some users here over the years (usually for valid reasons), but he likes you so that's not what he was saying. You can tell that he likes you because his tail was wagging. Oh, maybe only Mentors can see that part of his avatar... :wink:

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, Element13, Tom.G and 1 other person
Element13 said:
or are you referring to a switch that has three positions?

Just to clarify what I'm understanding:
Are you suggesting a 3-way switch that would give me the choice of having the lights not dimmed if I so chose to? In other words, in position 1 lights are dimmable, in position 2 lights are off, and in position 3 lights stay on, at full, even if I use the dimmer?
Clarification not really needed, you got it Right On!

Likes dlgoff and Element13

What is a custom multi light switch with dimmer?

A custom multi light switch with dimmer is a specialized light switch that allows you to control multiple lights from one location, while also adjusting the brightness of those lights. It offers convenience and energy efficiency by allowing you to easily turn off multiple lights at once and adjust the lighting levels to your preference.

How does a custom multi light switch with dimmer work?

A custom multi light switch with dimmer works by using advanced electronics to control the flow of electricity to the lights. It has a built-in microprocessor that receives signals from the user and adjusts the voltage to the lights accordingly. This allows for smooth and precise dimming of the lights.

What are the benefits of using a custom multi light switch with dimmer?

There are several benefits to using a custom multi light switch with dimmer. Firstly, it allows for energy savings by reducing the amount of electricity used for lighting. It also offers convenience and versatility by allowing you to control multiple lights and adjust their brightness from one location. Additionally, it can also extend the lifespan of your light bulbs by reducing the stress on them from constantly being turned on and off at full power.

Can a custom multi light switch with dimmer be installed in any home?

Yes, a custom multi light switch with dimmer can be installed in any home as long as it has the necessary wiring and electrical capacity. However, it is recommended to consult a licensed electrician for proper installation to ensure safety and functionality.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using a custom multi light switch with dimmer?

One potential drawback of using a custom multi light switch with dimmer is that it may not be compatible with all types of light bulbs. It is important to check the specifications of the switch and make sure it is compatible with the bulbs you are using. Additionally, it may take some time to get used to the dimming feature and find the right brightness level for your needs.