How high can it coast up the hill, if you neglect friction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alaa amed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction Hill
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
alaa amed
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Suppose a 180 kg motorcycle is heading toward a hill at a speed of 29 m/s. The two wheels weigh 12 kg each and are each annular rings with an inner radius of 0.280 m and an outer radius of 0.330 m.
How high can it coast up the hill, if you neglect friction in m?

*m = 180 kg
*v = 29 m/s
*h = 32 m

2. Homework Equations

mgh = 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 I w^2

The Attempt at a Solution


First thing I did is finding the moment of inertia for the wheels, which is 1/2 m (b^2 + a^2) then I multiplied it by 2 since there are two wheels.

I then plugged that number for "I" in the above equation. I found w by dividing the given velocity by the outer radius(not sure if that is right) and then I had all the variables and solved for h but got an unreasonable number! bigger that the actual height of the hill.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alaa amed said:
I then plugged that number for "I" in the above equation. I found w by dividing the given velocity by the outer radius(not sure if that is right) and then I had all the variables and solved for h but got an unreasonable number! bigger that the actual height of the hill.
It's hard to be sure without seeing all your working, but it sounds like you only considered the wheels getting up the hill. Even then, I don't think you should have got an unreasonable answer. If you do not show you working we cannot tell where you went wrong.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters