1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical and Spherical Coordinates Changing

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Convert the following as indicated:

1. r = 3, θ = -π/6, φ = -1 to cylindrical

2. r = 3, θ = -π/6, φ = -1 to cartesian

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just want to check if my answers are correct.

1. (2.52, -π/6, 1.62)
    2. (-2.18, -1.26, 1.62)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What coordinate system are these given in? ##r## is usually used in cylindrical coordinates and ##\rho## for spherical. Also, if ##\phi## is the spherical coordinate angle from the ##z## axis, it is usually restricted to the interval ##[0,\pi]##. Are you sure you copied the ##\phi## values correctly?

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Mathematicians and physicists use ##\theta## and ##\phi## differently. You need to tell us which convention you're using here.

5. Sep 9, 2012 #4
    Here is the question with the answer key:
    cIwN3.png

In this case r = ρ and I'm not sure why phi is negative.

I don't think the answer key is correct.

6. Sep 9, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The answer key is correct. You need to show us your calculations. To answer #1, it's probably most straightforward if you do #2 first and the convert from Cartesian to cylindrical.

7. Sep 9, 2012 #6
    For number one, how can r be negative? They have -2.52 whereas I have 2.52. It is why I thought the answer key was wrong.

8. Sep 9, 2012 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

When r is negative, you reflect through the origin from where you'd otherwise be. In polar coordinates, for instance, the point r=-1, θ=π/4 would correspond to (-1/√2, -1/√2), which is where you'd end up if you reflected r=1, θ=π/4 through (0,0).

You'll notice they gave you a second answer where r is positive, but the angle has been changed to account for the reflection.

9. Sep 11, 2012 #8
    Lastly, when ρ is negative does that mean the angle starts from the -z axis? Because when ρ is positive it starts from the positive z axis.

10. Sep 11, 2012 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Not exactly. Reflection in spherical coordinates takes ##\phi \to \pi-\phi## and ##\theta \to \theta+\pi##. The change to ##\phi## effectively means you're measuring from the -z-axis, but you also have to accompany it with a rotation by 180 degrees about the z-axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook