1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turn spherical coordinates into rectangular coordinates

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid region that lies inside the cone φ= pi/6 and inside the sphere ρ=4. Use rectangular coordinates.

2. Relevant equations
    x=ρ sinφ cos θ
    y=ρsinφ sin θ
    z=ρ cos φ
    ρ^2=x^2+y^2+z^2
    x= r cos θ
    y= r sin θ
    r^2=x^2+y^2

3. The attempt at a solution

at first, I tired to use rectangular coordinates, but I dont even know how to express this cone in rectangular coordinates. so I i divided them into 2 parts and used polar coordinates, where the lower part is just a straightforward volume of a cone, the upper part is the small dome where the sphere and the cone intersects each other.

since ρ=4, z=4cosφ = 4cos (π/6) = 2√3 which is the height when the sphere and the cone intersects at.
    16=x^2+y^2+z^2
    z=√(16-x^2-y^2)
    set them equal to each other : √(16-x^2-y^2)=2√3 , by simplify, i get 4=x^2+y^2
    which means radius =2 for the R where the sphere and the cone meet.
    the volume of the cone in the lower part: 1/3*π*(2)^2*(2√3)= 14.51 [using volume formula for a cone]
    the upper dome volume= ∫∫ [(√(16-r^2)- 2√3 ] r dr dθ where r goes from 0 to 2, and θ goes from 0 to 2π.
    I get V=3.449, adding it with the volume of the cone, i get 17.958.

Snapshot.jpg
    I am confused on how to do this problem in x.y,z coordinates( without dividing it into 2 parts). more precisely, I dont know how to get the expression of the cone in x,y,z coordinates from the given φ=pi/6 .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hint: the equation of a cone, in rectangular coords, pointing along the z axis, is the equation of a circle whose radius depends linearly on z.

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3
    thank you for the hint

i found the equation of a general cone from wolfram:
    NumberedEquation2.gif

where

NumberedEquation3.gif
    in my case, the equation of the cone would be z= sqrt ( (x^2)/3 + (y^2)/3 )
    since, r=2, h = 2√3 , c^2= 1/3 , correct?

5. Nov 6, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you not understand the equation wolfram gives you?

The equation of a circle whose radius depends on z is: ##x^2 + y^2 = f^2(z)##
    It varies linearly with z so f has the form of a straight line. ##f(z) = az + b##
    Now its a matter of finding a and b using the information you have.
    Is this consistent with what you got by rote from wolfram?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted