1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical symmetric magnetic field

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the magnetic field line pattern is cylindrical symmetric. Explain with Stokes theorem that the field decreases like 1/r (with r the distance from the axis of the cylinder).

2. Relevant equations
    Stokes theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking of a circular loop around the axis. The line integral around this loop is B*2*pi*r. But I don't really know what I can say about the curl of B if you only know about the cylindrical symmetry.

Thanks in advance for helping me out!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Integrating the Maxwell equation for ## \nabla \times B ##: ## \ ##
    ## \int \nabla \times B \cdot dA=\int \mu_oJ \cdot dA=\mu_o I ##. By Stokes theorem ## \int \nabla \times B \cdot dA=\oint B \cdot dl ##. One question to ask at this point-why is it that ## \oint B \cdot dl =B 2 \pi r ##? i.e. How do we know that ## B ## is constant along the path of the integral?

4. Jun 11, 2016 #3
    Thanks very much for your answer!
    I think B is constant along the path because of the cylindrical symmetry. Or is that a wrong conclusion?
    Are you sure by the way that ∫J⋅da = I in this case? How can you know that J and da point in the same direction? Or doesn't it matter?

5. Jun 11, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Yes, that is correct. ## B_{\phi} ## is constant along the circular path. ## J ## often points along the z-direction in problems with cylindrical symmetry, but it isn't a strict requirement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted