D=11 supergravity equations of motion

In summary, the conversation was about deriving equations of motion for the Bosonic sector of maximal sugra using the Action principle. The Action principle was defined as ##S=\int \star R -\frac{1}{2}\star F_4\wedge F_4 + \frac{1}{6} F_4\wedge F_4\wedge A_3## with ##F_4 = dA_3##. The conversation also discussed the discrepancy found in a PDF regarding the coefficient of the CS-term and the mistake made in the integration by parts due to the sign. The conversation ended with a confirmation that the mistake was small and the sign issue was resolved.
JorisL
Quick question, I'm preparing to work on supergravity.
For completeness I was deriving the equations of motion for the Bosonic sector of maximal sugra.

The Action principle is ##S=\int \star R -\frac{1}{2}\star F_4\wedge F_4 + \frac{1}{6} F_4\wedge F_4\wedge A_3## with ##F_4 = dA_3##. The subscripts denote the degree of the forms, when I switch to index-notation these are omitted. The star is the hodge star operator.

I succeeded in deriving the EFE for this theory of gravity ##R_{MN}-\frac{1}{2}Rg_{MN} = \frac{1}{12}\left( F_{MPQR}F_N^{PQR} - \frac{1}{8}F^2g_{MN}\right)## with ##F^2 = F_{MNOP}F^{MNOP}##.

When I vary this action with respect to the 3-form potential ##A_3## I get
[tex]d\star F_4 -\frac{1}{6}F_4\wedge F_4 = 0[/tex]

The problem I have here is that in this PDF, the coefficient of the CS-term is different.

Let me write out the relevant part of the variation below

[tex]\delta S = -\frac{1}{2} \int \star d(\delta A_3)\wedge F_4 + \star F_4\wedge d(\delta A_3) + \frac{1}{6} \int d(\delta A_3)\wedge F_4 \wedge A_3 + F_4\wedge d(\delta A_3)\wedge A_3 + F_4\wedge F_4 \wedge \delta A_3[/tex]

The first integral simplifies to ##-\int \star F_4 \wedge d(\delta A_3)## due to the identity ##\star A_p \wedge B_p = \star B_p\wedge A_p##.
Partial integration immediately gives the first term of my result (positive sign).

For the next integral I use that ##d(\delta A_3)\wedge F_4 \wedge A_3 = (-1)^{4\cdot 4} F_4 \wedge d(\delta A_3) \wedge A_3## which show the first 2 terms are the same. Moving the factor ##d(\delta A_3)## once more doesn't change anything.
After partial integration the second integral becomes ##\frac{1}{6}\int -2 d(F_4 \wedge A_3) \wedge \delta A_3 + F_4 \wedge F_4 \wedge \delta A_3##.

I figured I could exploit the fact that the Leibniz rule is modified, but because ##F_4## has degree 4 we don't pick up an extra sign. ##d(F_4\wedge A_3 = d(F_4)\wedge A_3 + (-1)^4 F_4\wedge dA_3 = 0+F_4\wedge F_4##

In conclusion I get an apparent discrepancy with the resource I found.
I haven't been able to confirm this resource though, the resources I found are mostly concerned with the transformation laws of the fields in the action (e.g. Supergravity by Freedman and Van Proeyen)

Am I making this big of a mistake?

Thanks,

Joris

Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake is small. You have to be very careful with signs when integrating by parts. For example,
$$d [ ( \delta A_3 ) \wedge F_4 \wedge A_3 ] =
d ( \delta A_3 )\wedge F_4 \wedge A_3 - (\delta A_3) \wedge F_4 \wedge F_4,$$
because we have to move the ##d## past the odd form ##A_3## in the second term. The corresponding term in the variation of the action then comes with the opposite sign that you need to reinforce the last term in your expression. I'm sure that the sign of the next term can be explained in the same way.

Likes JorisL
Thanks a million, I knew it was something like that.
I couldn't find it unfortunately

1. What is D=11 supergravity?

D=11 supergravity is a theory in theoretical physics that describes the behavior of gravity and its interactions with other fundamental forces in 11 dimensions. It is a supersymmetric extension of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. What are the equations of motion for D=11 supergravity?

The equations of motion for D=11 supergravity are a set of 11 coupled partial differential equations that describe the dynamics of the graviton, gravitino, and other fields in the theory. They are derived from the D=11 supergravity action and are used to determine the behavior of the fields in space and time.

3. How is D=11 supergravity related to string theory?

D=11 supergravity is a low-energy limit of string theory, which is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile general relativity with quantum mechanics. In certain limits, string theory reduces to D=11 supergravity, making it an important component of string theory research.

4. What is the significance of D=11 in D=11 supergravity?

D=11 refers to the number of dimensions in which the theory is formulated. In D=11 supergravity, there are 11 dimensions - 10 of space and 1 of time. This is in contrast to our everyday experience of 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time.

5. What are the applications of D=11 supergravity?

D=11 supergravity has applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of quantum gravity and string theory. It has also been used in attempts to unify the fundamental forces of nature, such as gravity and the other three forces described by the Standard Model.