D/C Circuit with one current and voltage source

In summary, the student is attempting to find the equivalent circuit for a current source in a circuit with resistors in series and parallel. They are unsure of how to proceed due to the mysterious current source in the middle of the circuit.
Mangoes

Homework Statement

A circuit problem and I think a picture could do a much better job than anything I could type.
Picture should be attached below if I didn't screw it up.

Homework Equations

I'm allowed to use Ohm's Law, resistor series/parallel combinations, superposition, Thevenin's theorem, KCL/KVL, voltage and current division.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing that really jumps out at me here is Thevenin's theorem. Unfortunately that's probably the concept I'm the least comfortable with so I'm a little unsure here.

My thought process so far was to open up the resistor R and calculate the Thevenin voltage and resistance.

I tried out the voltage first since it's usually the hardest and started off by combining the two resistors to the right because from my understanding (not 100% sure here) they're in parallel.

I'm unsure of how to treat the two remaining resistors though because of the mysterious current source in the middle between them. Since it's pushing current upwards, would it be okay to consider the two resistors in series?

Attachments

• ee.png
    ee.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried out the voltage first since it's usually the hardest and started off by combining the two resistors to the right because from my understanding (not 100% sure here) they're in parallel.
Which two? The 6Ohm and 30Ohm? Actually it doesn't matter - none of them are in parallel.

You should be able to just apply kirkoffs laws directly without worrying about combining resistors.

I'd be tempted to find the equivalent voltage-source circuit for the current source and the 30Ohm resistor - or just look for the thevinin equivalent circuit for everything left of R.

The current of the current source is needed, it must have been given.

ehild

My goal in combining resistors was to try to get a value for current somewhere and see where that would take me since I don't really see how I can apply KVL without any value for current.

As for the value of the current source, what's shown on the picture is all I know...

As for the value of the current source, what's shown on the picture is all I know...
Then you should probably go complain: there is not enough information.

The problem can be solved symbolically in terms of the unknown current.

Sure, you can find an expression for VR but not the value of it.
Which is a point - do we have the actual problem statement?

1. What is a D/C circuit?

A D/C circuit is a circuit that is powered by a direct current (D/C) source, which is a source of electricity that flows in one direction. This is in contrast to an alternating current (A/C) source, which alternates in direction.

2. What is the difference between current and voltage in a D/C circuit?

Current is the flow of electricity through a circuit, while voltage is the force that pushes the electricity to flow. In a D/C circuit with one current and voltage source, the voltage source provides the force for the current to flow.

3. How do you calculate the current and voltage in a D/C circuit?

The current in a D/C circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, I = V/R. The voltage can be calculated by multiplying the current (I) by the resistance (R).

4. What is the purpose of a resistor in a D/C circuit?

A resistor is a component in a circuit that restricts the flow of current. In a D/C circuit, a resistor is used to control the amount of current that flows through the circuit and to prevent damage to other components.

5. Can multiple current and voltage sources be used in a D/C circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple current and voltage sources in a D/C circuit. However, the sources must be connected in parallel for the circuit to work properly. This means that the positive terminals of the sources are connected together and the negative terminals are connected together.