Thevenin's circuit analysis. Multiple voltage sources

In summary, when calculating Thevenin's voltage in a circuit with a removed resistor that has a voltage source on the same branch, the 2nd voltage source should be included in the calculation. However, when finding the final Thevenin equivalent, the 2nd voltage source can be set aside and added back in after the rest of the circuit has been transformed and absorbed in stages. It is also helpful to post component values and working for confirmation of methods.
Galviniser
Hi, i am halfway through one of my assignments and i require some assistance. I do not seek the answer to the assignment just a little boost to my knowledge.

1. Homework Statement

Basically, if i am calculating the Thevenin's voltage and the resistor i have removed that is in question has a voltage source on the same branch, do i include the 2nd voltage source when finding the Thevenin's voltage or is this negligible because the circuit is not fully connected.at the points looking in. If there were to be another resistor and that branch, the resistance would be on no concern as there would be no current flowing through it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have simulated the circuit twice on Multisim, one with a voltage source and one without and i obtain different results.

Physics news on Phys.org
DSC_0448.jpg

There is the circuit i am working on and i require the Thevenins voltage from it. i have originally calculated it without using the V2 but i wasnt 100% sure this was the correct method

V2 will contribute to the Thevenin voltage. You can set it aside while you find the Thevenin equivalent of the rest of the circuit, then add it back and resolve to a final Thevenin model. It's perfectly acceptable to apply Thevenin step-wise, transforming and absorbing components along the way.

EDIT: By the way, if you post the component values and your working we can confirm that your methods are sound.

Okay thankyou,
so my way of looking at it is, the Thevenins voltage is the volt drop across Z2 and Z4. Then when the final Thev's circuit is created, a single voltage source in series with the Thev's resistance, i can simply connect V2 and the other resistor in question? is this what you mean?

I think you've got it. Basically you can do Thevenin in stages, absorbing more of the circuit as you go:
upload_2016-3-30_10-54-5.png

Thankyou, sometimes i just can't see the wood for the trees

What is Thevenin's circuit analysis?

Thevenin's circuit analysis is a method used to simplify complex electrical circuits into a single equivalent circuit, which makes it easier to calculate the voltage and current at a specific point in the circuit.

Why is Thevenin's circuit analysis useful for multiple voltage sources?

Thevenin's circuit analysis is particularly useful for circuits with multiple voltage sources because it allows us to calculate the voltage and current at a specific point in the circuit without having to consider the effects of all the individual voltage sources. This simplifies the analysis process and saves time.

What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified version of a circuit that contains only a single voltage source and a single resistor. This equivalent circuit has the same voltage and current characteristics at a specific point in the circuit as the original complex circuit.

Can Thevenin's circuit analysis be used for circuits with multiple resistors?

Yes, Thevenin's circuit analysis can be used for circuits with multiple resistors. The equivalent circuit will still only have one voltage source, but the equivalent resistance will be the sum of all the resistors in the original circuit.

What are the limitations of Thevenin's circuit analysis?

Thevenin's circuit analysis is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current must be linear. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition, and it may not accurately predict the behavior of the circuit during transient conditions.