D* -> D + gamma BR calculation

In summary, The conversation is about a calculation involving a radiative decay and factorized amplitude. The matrices involved can be decomposed into constants, vectors, polarizations, and other factors depending on the photon polarization, D* polarization, momentums of the photon and D*, and p^2. The question is raised about the handling of the D* matrices and if any effective terms or form factors are missing. There is also confusion about the presence of gamma_5 in an electromagnetic decay.
Hepth
Gold Member
Can anyone walk me through this calculation? I'm not completely sure how to do it (merely a student).

So is this considered a 1 body radiative decay? So the factorized amplitude would be something like
[tex]M \propto <D^0|\bar{u}\gamma_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)c|0>[A_1 <\gamma|\bar{u}\gamma_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)c|D^{*0}>+A_2<\gamma|\bar{u}i \sigma_{\mu \nu} p_\nu \left(1+\gamma_5\right)c|D^{*0}> [/tex]

And each matrix can be decomposed into some constants/vectors/polarizations etc.

[tex]<D^0|\bar{u}\gamma_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)c|0> = i f_{D^0} P_{D^{0}\mu}[/tex]

and the second and third terms can be similarly decomposed into linear combinations of terms depending only on:
Photon Polarization [tex]\epsilon^{*}_{\gamma \alpha}[/tex]
[tex]D^{*0}[/tex] Polarization [tex]\epsilon^{*}_{D^{*0} \beta}[/tex]
Momentums of the photon and D* (q and p respectively)
And the constants can depend on p^2.

So any sort of combination of these such that the end result yields one remaining index.

Now my first question, for those that do these sort of things, am I handling the D* matrices correctly? Am I missing any effective terms/form factors?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is over my head, because I am an experimenter, but what are all the gamma_5's doing there? This is an electromagnetic decay, so why are you projecting out the left handed state?

Hello,

Yes, this is indeed a 1-body radiative decay process. The calculation for the branching ratio (BR) of this process involves several steps, which I can walk you through.

First, we need to consider the decay amplitude, which is given by the matrix element of the weak interaction between the initial D* meson and the final state photon. This can be written as the product of two matrix elements, as you have correctly shown:

M \propto <D^0|\bar{u}\gamma_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)c|0>[A_1 <\gamma|\bar{u}\gamma_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)c|D^{*0}>+A_2<\gamma|\bar{u}i \sigma_{\mu \nu} p_\nu \left(1+\gamma_5\right)c|D^{*0}>

The first matrix element on the right-hand side is the same as the one you have written, and it can be decomposed as you have shown. The second matrix element, however, is slightly different. It involves the spin-1 polarization vector of the D* meson, which can be written as:

\epsilon^{*}_{D^{*0} \beta} = \frac{\epsilon_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}p^\mu q^\nu}{m_{D^*}q^2} \epsilon^{*\alpha}

where \epsilon^{*\alpha} is the polarization vector of the photon and q is the momentum of the photon.

Next, we need to consider the decay rate, which is related to the branching ratio via the total width of the D* meson. The decay rate is given by:

\Gamma = \frac{1}{2m_{D^*}} \int |M|^2 d\Phi

where d\Phi is the phase space of the decay. This can be written in terms of the invariant mass of the photon, q^2, and the form factors of the D* meson, F_1(q^2) and F_2(q^2):

\Gamma = \frac{1}{8\pi m_{D^*}^2} \int_{q^2_{min}}^{q^2_{max}} |M|^2 dq^2

= \frac{1}{8\

1. How is the branching ratio (BR) for D* -> D + gamma calculated?

The branching ratio for D* -> D + gamma is calculated by taking the ratio of the number of D* decays into D + gamma to the total number of D* decays. This is often expressed as a percentage or a decimal number.

2. What factors affect the BR for D* -> D + gamma?

The BR for D* -> D + gamma can be affected by several factors, including the energy of the gamma ray, the mass of the D* particle, and the strong interaction between the D* and the D particles.

3. Why is the BR for D* -> D + gamma important in particle physics?

The BR for D* -> D + gamma is important because it provides information about the underlying physics of the decay process. By studying the BR, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental particles and their interactions.

4. How do experimental measurements of the BR for D* -> D + gamma compare to theoretical predictions?

Experimental measurements of the BR for D* -> D + gamma are compared to theoretical predictions to test the accuracy of current theories and models in particle physics. Any discrepancies between the two can lead to new insights and discoveries.

5. Can the BR for D* -> D + gamma change over time?

Yes, the BR for D* -> D + gamma can change over time due to new experimental data and advancements in theoretical models. This is why it is important for scientists to continually study and update these calculations to gain a more accurate understanding of the underlying physics.