Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D* -> D + gamma BR calculation

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1

Hepth

Gold Member

Can anyone walk me through this calculation? I'm not completely sure how to do it (merely a student).

So is this considered a 1 body radiative decay? So the factorized amplitude would be something like
    [tex]M \propto <D^0|\bar{u}\gamma_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)c|0>[A_1 <\gamma|\bar{u}\gamma_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)c|D^{*0}>+A_2<\gamma|\bar{u}i \sigma_{\mu \nu} p_\nu \left(1+\gamma_5\right)c|D^{*0}> [/tex]

And each matrix can be decomposed into some constants/vectors/polarizations etc.

[tex]<D^0|\bar{u}\gamma_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)c|0> = i f_{D^0} P_{D^{0}\mu}[/tex]

and the second and third terms can be similarly decomposed into linear combinations of terms depending only on:
    Photon Polarization [tex]\epsilon^{*}_{\gamma \alpha}[/tex]
    [tex]D^{*0}[/tex] Polarization [tex]\epsilon^{*}_{D^{*0} \beta}[/tex]
    Momentums of the photon and D* (q and p respectively)
    And the constants can depend on p^2.

So any sort of combination of these such that the end result yields one remaining index.

Now my first question, for those that do these sort of things, am I handling the D* matrices correctly? Am I missing any effective terms/form factors?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is over my head, because I am an experimenter, but what are all the gamma_5's doing there? This is an electromagnetic decay, so why are you projecting out the left handed state?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook