1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I D.E. Littlewood's comments about escape velocity

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been reading D.E. Littlewood's book "The Skeleton Key of Mathematics", and near the beginning he says that if a projectile weighing one (long) ton were given a velocity of 44 miles a second, this would be "sufficient to raise it to a height of 1000 miles above the earth's surface."

Naturally, I wanted to reproduce this number for myself, so I started with conservation of energy:

## \frac{1}{2}M_P V^2 - \frac{GM_P M_E}{R_E} = -\frac{GM_P M_E}{R_E+h} ##,

where ## M_E ## is the mass of the Earth, ## M_P ## that of the projectile, ## h ## is the height of the projectile above the surface, ## G ## is the gravitation constant, and ## V ## is the projectile's speed. Solving for the height gives

## h = \frac{R_E}{\frac{2GM_E}{V^2 R_E}-1} ##.

First, note that the mass of the projectile does not appear in this formula. It appears, then, irrelevant that the projectile weighs a ton. Second, as the denominator approaches zero, ## h \rightarrow \infty ##; setting the denominator to zero and solving for ## V = V_{esc} ## yields

## V_{esc} = \sqrt{2G M_E / R} \approx 7 \frac{mi}{s} ##.

Thus, 44 mi/s seems like way more than you would need to lift the projectile 1000 miles above the surface. I didn't account for energy lost to air resistance in these calculations, but launching an object through the atmosphere into space like that seems unfeasible - wouldn't it just burn up? Am I missing something or is Littlewood's calculation off?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done - if you google "escape velocity in miles per second" what do you get?

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, Google didn't give me what I expected, but Wolfram Alpha did - about 7 mi/s. For some reason, I always have a hard time believing that books could be wrong about things like this. I always think I must be missing something. Thanks!

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Uh... yeah. A 1-ton projectile launched at Mach 208 is going to create significant atmospheric disturbances. Spacecraft coast to Earth at a relatively plodding Mach 25, and how'd that work out for Challenger? Even slender little bullets lose most of their kinetic energy after a few hundred yards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_coefficient#/media/File:Effect_of_BC_on_Energy_Retained.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted