1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damoed Oscillation in an RLC circuit

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A single loop circuit consists of a 7.2 ohm resistor, a 12.0 H inductor, and a 3.20*10^-6 F capacitor. Initially the Capacitor has a charge of 6.20*10^-6 C and the current is zero. Find the charge on the capacitor N complete cycles later for a) N=5, b) N=10, and c) N=100.

2. Relevant equations
    q=Qe^(-Rt/2L)cos(wt + p), where p is the phase constant and w is the angular frequency.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't figure out how to solve this considering i'm given a # of complete cycles and I can't convert it to time. Sorry if i'm being dumb, i've been working on the same type of stuff for several hours now.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is angular frequency? How is related the angular frequency to L, C, and R?

ehild

4. May 4, 2010 #3
    After you find the angular frequency, how is it related to the time it takes the system to go through one cycle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook