1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Oscillations in an RLC circuit

1. Aug 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A single loop circuit consists of a 7.2 ohm resistor, a 11.9 H inductor, and a 3.4*10^-6 F capacitor. Initially the Capacitor has a charge of 6.3*10^-6 C and the current is zero. Find the charge on the capacitor N complete cycles later for N=5.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations
    q=Qe^(-Rt/2L)cos(wt + p), where p is the phase constant and w is the angular frequency.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already found angular frequency to be 157.2122, but how do I relate this to time it takes to make 5 cycles? I do not fully understand the definition of w.
    (the idea of angular frequency has always been quite confusing to me as I have not yet taken mechanics and am doing E&M first)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Aug 5, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Angular frequency is radians per second. So 1 rotation per second is 2pi radians per second. Etc.

If you know w which = 2pi * f, then period T = 1/f as you know I'm sure.

5. Aug 5, 2013 #4
  6. Aug 5, 2013 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

ehild

7. Aug 5, 2013 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted