1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped harmonic motion question

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    A damped harmonic motion starts from rest at time t=0 with displacement A0 has the equation:

x(t) = A0/cos (delta)*e^(-t/tau) *cos (w't + delta)

w' is the angular frequency, tau is the time constant and delta is given by:

tan (delta) = - (1/w' tau)

find the time when the maximum negative displacement occurs. express it in terms of period.

So, Can you just give me a hint on where to start and where to go from there.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Which term in your expression for x(t) can conceivably turn negative as time increases? Is it the exponential or is it the cosine?

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    That would be the exponential since we have -t in there. So i guess in this case i am supposed to differentiate with respect to t first?

5. Apr 22, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just wait before you take any derivatives.

[tex]e^{-t}=\frac{1}{e^t}[/tex]

For what value of t is the expression negative?

6. Apr 22, 2010 #5
    oh oops i dint see that part. The exponential is going to give me a positive value. How did i forget that. my bad

7. Apr 22, 2010 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know where to go from here? The first thing to do is to find a value for the phase delta.

8. Apr 22, 2010 #7
    I dont know exactly where to go since i am confused about what it is asking for exactly. And to find the value for delta i will be using the tan (delta) = (1/w' tau) and then i guess i can substitute w' = 2*pi/ T' in there and go from there?

9. Apr 22, 2010 #8

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are given x(t) and you are told that at t = 0, the oscillator is at A0. If you evaluate your expression at t = 0, i.e. find x(0), is it equal to A0 or is it equal to something else?

10. Apr 22, 2010 #9
    ohhh i see.. no problemo.. thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook